We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tobago Cays - Petit Tabac

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Tobago Cays - Petit Tabac

Has anyone been by Petit Tabac for a quick stop? What is there? How much time would you recommend being there for? We were going to stop off for a 1/2 hour to take photos and hang out with the kids but we are wondering if that is really long enough. Any reply would be great. Thanks!!

World
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tobago Cays - Petit Tabac

been there - half an hour is plenty...don't forget to add on the time required to get from the boat to the island and back.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tobago Cays - Petit Tabac

Okay - sounds good - we appreciate the confirmation regarding the time and will keep it at that. Good to hear from you again curiousx.

Say - we found another villa in Bequia - Avalon by the Beach (yellow two storey near lower bay). Have you seen it? How do you think it might compare to Spring House and Bequia Beach Hotel?

World
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tobago Cays - Petit Tabac

I've only seen Avalon from the outside. Location and appearance are good (wonderful grounds) but can't say more than that. I don't know Spring House but would much prefer a location in Low Bay to Spring, especially for first-timers and with a beach-loving family. Bequia Beach Club is very nice but 'could be anywhere'.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tobago Cays - Petit Tabac

Good comments and thank you again curiousx - how noisy do you think the accommodation on Lower Bay might be at night when we are sleeping?

Looks like I can access photos for both Spring and Avalon now at:

www.grenadinevillas.com/villa_detail.aspx…

www.springhousebequia.com/accommodation.php

Please feel free to take a look and let me know what you think of the "inside" at both places - BTW based on advice in previous posts we would rent a car from Spring. At Bequia beach we would probably take a taxi to and from town/other beaches.

For my own part, I am not as crazy about hotels - always feel a little housed in (no pun intended).

Best wishes again - MB

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tobago Cays - Petit Tabac

Lower Bay will not be noisy, except for maybe one night a week. And by midnight it will be quiet. Easter regatta is the time to expect noise.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tobago Cays - Petit Tabac

Mommy Barbie...somehow I have to think that you are overplanning your trip...it sounds like you are trying to plan every minute of the day...Bequia is more about chilling out...lots to do if you want to do it, but if you overplan and try to schedule everything I do believe you are going to end up very frustrated...you have to take into consideration 'island time' which is everything running at least 1/2 hour late, and what we call 'Bequia brain' where you have 2 or 3 things that you want to do in a day but only end up doing 1 because you end up stopping to talk with complete strangers along the boardwalk, you stop for a cup of tea at the Gingerbread and stay for 2 hours mesmerized by the view and visiting with friends and newcomers, then you decide you'd better have lunch before you go to do whatever it was that you wanted to do, but after lunch you decide that you should have a nap, after the nap you decide to spend some time in the sea or the pool, then you try to remember what it was that you wanted to do that day and can't...then it's time for a sundowner and to get washed and ready for dinner...maybe after dinner you remember what it was that you wanted to do and never got it done...oh well, there's always tomorrow...Bequia is wonderful but you have to slow down to enjoy it

World
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tobago Cays - Petit Tabac

I agree with everything la dolce says - trying to plan to the half hour/hour (or even the day) can be a recipe for disappointment

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tobago Cays - Petit Tabac

And here is a 3rd vote for this!

Also, I think for a family, travelling to all those islands is not going to be the best way to spend your vacation time. As I said in my pm to you, I think you would be wise to split your time between St. Lucia and Bequia and not try to fit in every other island in the Grenadines.

Lower Bay is a perfect location for you and the kids will love it!

Edited: 05 March 2011, 15:16
Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tobago Cays - Petit Tabac

Hi Guys,

We are not trying to plan our Bequia "activitie" at all and have not looked at them except to say we hope to hang out, and see town, but mostly be on the nicer beaches that the island offers (L.Bay, P. Marg.).

About the Cays - this is a necessary question as we have to arrange for a boat to pick us up at a prearranged time - in advance.

A pool would be a bonus since we have kids and would not be doing the night life thing - this would give us something to do lat night. And it would be a bonus if DH and I could get up and watch sunrise while kids sleep close by.

Pretty much we are (as you know) torn on the best accommodations out of the three - Bequia Beach, Spring House, and Avalon.

Unlike other posters here, we simply cannot return. This is why the choice is so important to us - that's all. Granted it would be great to go back and try different places out but that won't be an option for our family at this point.

Thank you again -

MsZ
Dorset UK
Level Contributor
190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tobago Cays - Petit Tabac

You wont see the sunrise at Lower Bay, wrong side of the island, great for sunsets though.