We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Action Bequia

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Action Bequia

I've been invited to a meeting of Action Bequia today...sounds very exciting and positive...not sure of all the details, but a couple of the things that they want to work on are getting the Belmont Boardwalk repaired and reopening the path over the headland between Admiralty Bay and Princess Margaret...I'll know more later, but this sounds really good...some of the other initiatives have to do with better access to potable water for residents that don't have cisterns, a new roof on the Paget Farm Community Center...more later

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
821 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Action Bequia

This is great news and thank you for posting the info. Would love to hear more about the details after the meeting.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Action Bequia

http://actionbequia.org/

site is under construction as is a facebook page, but the site will give a little more information...

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
832 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Action Bequia

Sounds like a great initiative. Repairing the Belmont Walkway, which is such a unique feature of Bequia that it would truly be a shame to have it disintegrate any further, as well as restoring a walkway to PM beach would be things that I am sure would help tourism. Of course, nothing can be more important to residents (and by extension visitors alike) than providing clean water for all residents. All of these are thing that I, and I am sure many others, would be willing to contribute to, if there was an effective means of doing so. It occurs to me that as a mean of collecting money for the Belmont walkway, a voluntary "toll" might be effective--i.e. volunteers stationed collecting contributions from visitors who use the walkway (most of us are always trying to find some way to use our coins anyway). It's certainly something that I would be willing to do every time (or at least most times) by in order to help the repairs and maintenance. It doesn't sound like much but I supect it would add up quickly!

Boston...
Level Contributor
126 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Action Bequia

Funny, I was thinking of making it a "toll road" as well.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Action Bequia

I'm going to wait to get the 'minutes' before I add more info, but this is very exciting...especially the initiatives for the potable water, and it isn't just talk, these things are under way, they are happening...more later...

UK
Level Contributor
575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Action Bequia

Sounds interesting and I'm very much with Bear on the water issue. It's a terrible truth that many Bequians struggle to collect enough water for their daily needs simply because they cannot afford to maintain decent guttering or buy sufficeint tanks. Hard for those of us who take our mains water for granted to fully appreciate just how tough it can be for many people on the island.....easy for us to look at a rainy day as a blight on our vacation when actually it's a Godsend for many.....look foward to hearing more and would gladly contribute , as I am sure many others would too, to any project that helped address this most basic of human needs.

Bequia
Level Contributor
58 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Action Bequia

This is really good news and we who live and work in Bequia know how important those issues are for most of the locals who struggle with many issues from cost of medical and education to watersupply and many other things related to infrastructure.

The only way forward is to work together and with the intention to provide a future for Bequia residents. This is an opportunity to make a change, and all of us who love this island should support it anyway possible

Congratulations to the initiative and you will have our full support

Mr Lars

UK
Level Contributor
315 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Action Bequia

One reason I think this initiative will be a success, is the mix of people behind it: locals and visitors, business and community representatives, influential people from both political parties, etc etc.

This looks really exciting!

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Action Bequia

hey mr lars. with all the business we sent you this year you could pay for the project yourself. lol

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Action Bequia

I've just updated the Action Bequia page on Facebook, but if you don't have Facebook...progress continues with: VHF Radio Net for yachties to help provide info to yachties every morning to help provide them with useful information and to help bring the yachties and Bequia community together...Paget Farm Community Center roof and refit, proposal is ready for approval...Reading Club/Literacy, help with funding and volunteer information...Emergency Water Supply at Union Vale, quotes for project should be available soon, and Grenadines Partnership Fund have agreed to proceed with funding the project in stages...Belmont Walkway, subcommittee to work together to finalize a proposal quickly, with the work to start on the broken sections first...Bequia Tourisms scope is limited by a lack of funds, so there needs to be a fresh membership drive (attn business owners and rental property owners...are you a member of the BTA? )...litter awareness...instructions in reuse of what is normally considered to be waste, ie: plastics...

this is all very exciting for the people of Bequia and will help protect Bequia's appeal as a visitor destination...