We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place for celebratory dinner?

England
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Good place for celebratory dinner?

Hello

We will be in Bequia in a few weeks time and I would appreciate some advice on a restaurant where we could enjoy a birthday dinner. I have been reading the restaurant reviews here on TA but advice welcome. Ideally somewhere with a nice view of the sea, at least for drinks first (although I suppose after sunset that's less relevant). Happy to take a taxi between bar & restaurant if need be. Somewhere where there's likely to be a bit of atmosphere and where we can linger for a while after eating (we like to eat latish 8.30-9pm). L'Auberge and Fernado's Hideaway both sound good but open to suggestions/thoughts.

Many thanks!

CANADA
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good place for celebratory dinner?

Tante Pearls has best view of harbour . Sun sets around 6:15 and gets dark pretty quick so you will enjoy the lights of the boats and Port Elizabeth. You will need a res. as it"s not that large and it has a bar. It sits high on a hillside . Fernandos has lots of atmosphere but is hidden away in trees and underbrush ,no view. L'Auberge is good with view of harbour at sea level. My pick would be Tante Pearls if you get there BEFORE 6:00 to catch a stunning sunset. Not sure you will get a sunset at L"Auberge

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
349 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good place for celebratory dinner?

I think it depends what day of the week it is! For instance, L'Auberge is nice if Stan and Cora are playing (Fri, Sun, Mon + Wed), but otherwise it can be deathly quiet and not quite the atmosphere you want for your celebration. Likewise many other restaurants, the one exception being Fernando's which seems to be full every night (but for every fan, there is someone who thinks its over-rated!) Consult Bequia This Week if you want to be sure of a nice atmosphere. issuu.com/bequia/docs/thisweek_24_02_12…

I would recommend Fridays - Devil's Table, L'Auberge or perhaps The Fig Tree, Saturdays - Coco's or Papa's, Sundays - Gingerbread or L'Auberge, Mondays - L'Auberge, Tuesday's - Jack's Bar, Wednesday's - Bagatelle, Bequia Beach Hotel, and Thursday's - end up at Frangipani (but don't eat there!)All of these have views over the water. Personally, if it were my birthday/anniversary I think I'd choose Bagatelle or Devil's Table.

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
100 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good place for celebratory dinner?

not sure about a place for drinks and a view, but for atmosphere and great food, check out Fernando's.

England
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Good place for celebratory dinner?

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I guess it is a case of 'follow the music'. We will no doubt eat at all of these places during our stay, it's just picking the one for the birthday night (a Wednesday btw). We are staying at Bequia Beach Hotel, so Bagatelle would be very convenient - just a case of whether we want to be on our doorstep as it were.

Thanks again for your help.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
349 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good place for celebratory dinner?

Oh! As you are staying at Bequia Beach Hotel, I can completely understand that you may want somewhere different for your special celebration (though their Wednesday evenings are very good!) Perhaps L'Auberge for some fresh lobster.. .. Or Firefly for something just as nice (but you may have to move on afterwards if you're looking for a little more atmosphere than your group could muster alone...?)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good place for celebratory dinner?

Great thread.....full of great suggestions! Definitely saving this info for upcoming trip!

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Good place for celebratory dinner?

Just a note on Fernando's as you say you like to eat around 8.30-9pm, Nando works on a kind of single sitting basis and likes everyone to be there between 7 and 7.30 - if you come later you risk not getting your first your choice. But It's worth breaking with your normal eating times and being there for 7 - believe me.

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good place for celebratory dinner?

if you are looking for same old same old those places are all nice,but if you are looking for a place to dine that will be an unforgettable experience go to Hendis. Depending how many people you have you can reserve the entire place. It seats about 18 comfortable.The meals are 55ec and you can bring your own wine. The food is as good as anywhere on the island .Im sure given enough notice they will bake you a cake..They will make you whatever you like. Henry and Dion are the two nicest people you will ever meet. If you should go there be sure to mention my name so I get my 10% cut. LOL

Edited: 29 February 2012, 13:03
9. Re: Good place for celebratory dinner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:41
Get answers to your questions about Bequia