We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Lucia to Bequia by boat?

Herts
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
St Lucia to Bequia by boat?

Hi,

We are planning a 2 week vacation during March / April 2013.

For the first week we are staying in St Lucia (Anse Chastanet as we like snorkeling / diving) and then are thinking of Bequia or Canouan for the second week.

Is it practical / sensible to charter a boat to go from St Lucia to Bequia or Canouan - it sounds more fun to travel on a nice boat for a few hours rather than by air.

We are all keen on snorkeling so any advice on the best hotels where we can ideally snorkel from the beach would be great. Some suggestions of things to do whilst there would be welcome - hope to visit Tobago Cays.

Thanks in advance

Alan

CANADA
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St Lucia to Bequia by boat?

The regular ferries will get you to Bequia or the fast ferry to Canouan. Read the Dec 12 post " St. Vincent to Bequia by boat "

CANADA
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St Lucia to Bequia by boat?

Ooops Just reread your post and realised you are coming from St. Lucia not St. Vincent . Sorry can't help you

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
821 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Lucia to Bequia by boat?

I think it would be a long and expensive ride. Your easiest option is to look into flying to St. Vincent and then take the fast ferry to Bequia. LIAT Airlines has a morning flight from St. Lucia Mon/Tue/Wed/Fri. You would be in Bequia in time for lunch.

Also, Canouan is a very, very sleepy island. Not much at all to do there unless you are interested in the high end resort that is there. I would definitely recommend Bequia over Canouan.

From Bequia, you can easily visit the Tobago Cays either on a private boat (Michael Tours is one of them) or on the Friendship Rose. Snorkeling in Bequia is decent, but nothing like the Cays. Also, if you are into snorkeling, there is a great spot very close to Bequia (again by private boat) called Isle a Quatre.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 19:33
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,750 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Lucia to Bequia by boat?

If you enjoy diving (as your post read snorkeling/diving), Dive Bequia is an excellent dive shop! They also will take you snorkeling when doing a shallow water dive. Lower Bay on Bequia has some decent snorkeling at either end. I've seen lots of fish, some eels and even lobster and you can enter from the beach. A trip to the Tobago Cays is a must do. I also would just fly to St Vincent and then ferry to Bequia. Personally prefer the regular open air ferry (about 45 min) over the fast enclosed ferry. There is something special about arriving in the port sitting on the upstairs open deck. Lovely views. If you give an idea of budget and # in your party it helps to recommend places to stay. Bequia has many options from inexpensive guest houses to luxury villas. Nice to have a small villa/studio.

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Lucia to Bequia by boat?

have another rum punch Dick happy new year to you and Jane

Edited: 28 December 2012, 14:30
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St Lucia to Bequia by boat?

I also would suggest flying into St Vincent and taking ferry to Bequia. I also suggest Fantasea Tours, St Vincent, for a down island charter. Talk to Earl, he has several boats to accommodate different size groups. He can pick you up at the dock in Bequia and prices are very reasonable. For lodging, check out Kingsville apartments in Lower bay. The owners are great people and they have different size accommodations for your needs.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St Lucia to Bequia by boat?

I also would suggest flying into St Vincent and taking ferry to Bequia. I also suggest Fantasea Tours, St Vincent, for a down island charter. Talk to Earl, he has several boats to accommodate different size groups. He can pick you up at the dock in Bequia and prices are very reasonable. For lodging, check out Kingsville apartments in Lower bay. The owners are great people and they have different size accommodations for your needs.

Ontario, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Lucia to Bequia by boat?

hi you can try baker on 531 2837 he operates a charter boat out of bequia but very often picks up in st lucia and sails down to the grenadines..

i tried it myself and had a great time . much better than flying ! have fun

9. Re: St Lucia to Bequia by boat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2013, 10:17