We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Home

New York
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Home

Hello All,

I have a bit of a transportation conundrum I was hoping to get some advice on. I have a flight home from Barbados at 3:11pm on a Tuesday. Unfortunately, the morning SVG Air flight from Bequia is booked. I'm thinking of taking the ferry to St. Vincent in the morning, then the 12:15pm Liat flight to Barbados (arriving at 12:55pm). Is this cutting it too close, particularly given Liat's less than stellar reputation for on time performance? Should I plan on getting to Barbados (or at least St. Vincent) the day before? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Matt

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Bequia
Bequia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
St. Vincent
St. Vincent
USA
Level Contributor
419 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Home

Its cutting it very fine, with no room for delays. If you are a gambler, have no luggage to check in, and enjoy living dangerously, you should go for it - you might just make it!

If budget is a concern, I would overnight in St. Vincent the day before and take the early morning flight to BGI - which would almost certainly work out less expensive that going to Barbados the night before.

If budget is not a concern though, I would go to Barbados the day before, and take time to explore the island in the 24 hours or so that you will be there.

Mentioned in this post
St. Vincent
St. Vincent
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Innisfil, Ontario...
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Home

I would go the day before, you are right about liat, when you need them you can't depend on them. If your return home from BGI can be changed without a huge penalty then you could take the chance with liat the day of. I always overnight in BGI before my flight, reduces the stress level and a nights hotel is a nights hotel so the cost is not that much different. Hope this helps.

Kingstown, St...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Home

I would not riskit.i was speaking to someone at liat prior to Xmas and they had some problems and a small backlog.but since the floods I presume the backlog has increased due to cancellations.

Good luck

USA
Level Contributor
419 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Home

Rick S - in my experience, taxis, hotels and meals in Barbados on an overnight invariably come to more than in SV.. not by much , but if you are on a budget, every $ matters.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
CANADA
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Home

Don't want to buck the trend here but I have done exactly what you suggest for the last several years with no problem. Take the earliest ferry , 6.00 or 6.30 am I think .

CANADA
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Home

Just to be clear I am referring to MattL's original post

7. Re: Getting Home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Bequia