We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friendship Rose with Kids

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Friendship Rose with Kids

I'm going to be traveling to Bequia this winter with my wife and our two children (aged 5 and almost 2). Thanks to all of you for your advice so far. We would like to do a trip on the Friendship Rose, probably to the Tobago Keys. Would this be appropriate for the kids? They are used to sailing, although in calmer waters and generally for shorter periods of time. They both love the beach and splashing around in the water and the older one swims to some extent, but they wouldn't be snorkeling. Do you think the younger one would be okay on the boat? It can be hard to get him to sit still for extended periods of time (although he is relatively sedate for a toddler)... My other option would be to leave him with my wife and just take my older daughter. Thanks very much.

Regards,

Matt

Innisfil, Ontario...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friendship Rose with Kids

put a life jacket on him, if he's used to sailing probably be ok. If it's a calm day should be no worries. If it's not might want to reconsider it. I have been 3 times on the Rose and enjoyed myself every time. The food is great and the beverages always flowing. But if worrying about him is going to affect your enjoyment then probably leave him with the wife.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friendship Rose with Kids

I've only been once and it was not a journey for children under five. It's a 2 plus hour sail each way... Open ocean and it does get rough.

Edited: 29 December 2013, 16:13
UK
Level Contributor
586 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Friendship Rose with Kids

I agree with Michelle. It's a long day, can be rough and the sun is scorching and sunstroke a real risk that could blight the rest of your holiday. Many adults feel wiped out the following day... though the rum punch might be partly responsible for that....

It is great fun for teens and adults but would really recommend saving this treat for when your children are older and they and you will really be able to relax and enjoy it.

UK
Level Contributor
586 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Friendship Rose with Kids

I agree with Michelle. It's a long day, can be rough and the sun is scorching and sunstroke a real risk that could blight the rest of your holiday. Many adults feel wiped out the following day... though the rum punch might be partly responsible for that....

It is great fun for teens and adults but would really recommend saving this treat for when your children are older and they and you will really be able to relax and enjoy it.

UK
Level Contributor
586 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Friendship Rose with Kids

UK
Level Contributor
586 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Friendship Rose with Kids

World
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friendship Rose with Kids

I've been often on the Rose with parents who said their kids (age 7 and under) were used to sailing and would have no problems. Wrong. With one exception (kids who had already been sailing RTW with their parents for half a year!), the outcome was the same - seasick, sunburnt kids and very worried parents. Hire someone to look after the children for the day. Leave them behind and go and enjoy yourselves.

Port Rowan, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Friendship Rose with Kids

We went on the Friendship Rose a few years ago. I don't recall any children on the boat, and we ran into a storm with lots of wind and rain, rough seas. Don't think little ones would like that! It was a wonderful day and a highlight of our trip!

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Friendship Rose with Kids

Thanks, all. On balance, sounds like (if anything) I should just do it with my older daughter. Assuming she handles the time on the boat okay, is there much to do for a kid that age once we get to the Cays? She loves the beach and sea life and pretty much all things related to nature and animals (and can swim a bit), but is probably not going to be able to really snorkel (at least not in deep water). I guess my point is that if all we do is anchor and go snorkeling off the boat, she probably wouldn't get that much out of it. If we can go on the beach and do a little exploring and swimming off the beach, then that is a different story. Thanks again for all the advice.

Regards,

Matt

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Friendship Rose with Kids

She can go to the beach and do the water splash thing. Can also walk along the trail and likely spot iguanas.

Get answers to your questions about Bequia