We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental vs. taxi/bus

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental vs. taxi/bus

Hello all,

We are headed to Bequia in late June of this year, and are looking at transportation options once we arrive. We are staying in a Villa on Industry Bay, and plan on visiting other beaches as well. We would also need to get groceries, and just plain old explore a bit. There will be 8-11 of us, and of course it would be convenient to have vehicles at the ready... but would it be worth it? How reliable/expensive are the taxi services? Does the bus go anywhere near Industry Bay? I have to admit I drive for a living and like to explore new places very much, but I thought I would put the question out there and see what everyone had to say.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bequia
Level Contributor
100 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental vs. taxi/bus

Call Challenger Taxi. Curtis and/or Sandra are expert drivers, expert on the island, and will take you wherever you want to go.

Innisfil, Ontario...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental vs. taxi/bus

The problem is the amount of people you have, won't find anything larger that a 5 seater for rent. Industry is way out there and no bus service I know of. If you are only going into town 1 time a day, use a taxi, find someone you like, there are many and everyone seems to have their favourite, get there cell and give them 15-30 mins and they will look after you. Depending on where I stay, sometimes I rent a car, but there is only 2-3 of us. A taxi will take you on an island tour at a reasonable cost as well and show you everything you want to see that you might miss on your own.

Hope this helps

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental vs. taxi/bus

Thanks very much for the information. We are really looking forward to this trip, and this forum has been very helpful! Are there any other opinions on which Taxi company might work out well for us? Challenger seems pretty good from what I have seen.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental vs. taxi/bus

As mentioned above, you will get many suggestions of great taxi drivers. We have been visiting Bequia for eight years and have used Fat Man Taxi (784-593-7336) for all of those years. He has helped an looked after us with great service. If Fat Man is not available when you need, he will arrange another taxi to take care of you. Fat Man will also help with suggestions for lunch, dinner, tours, etc. You will find most the taxi drivers on Bequia full of help and suggestions to make your stay as wonderful as the island and people themselves. Of course, I have to plug our friend Fat Man, we love him! Enjoy your time on Bequia!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,025 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental vs. taxi/bus

Fat Man gets my vote as well! Have recommended him many times. He is our "ambassador" on Bequia and never steers us wrong! That said, most all of the taxi drivers on Bequia are excellent. Never even consider renting a car.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental vs. taxi/bus

Feel free to rent a car if you wish - there is no reason why you shouldn't but the roads on Bequia are often steep, narrow and in poor condition with deep ditches at the side and with little or no street lighting so it can put some people off. But if you've ever driven in the Uk, it will not bother you at all. You will need to buy a local licence at the Revenue office in town though.

Based at Industry, your party will need transport. There are no shops at all on that side of the island, the buses do not go to that side of the island, the better beaches are over the other side and there is only one restaurant /bar at Industry.

Taxis on Bequia are essentially converted pick up trucks and they can seat 8 people on the benches. So if there are more than 8 of you, you will need 2 taxis. And of course if your group wants to do different things at different times, multiple vehicles would be useful. Prices are fixed and as has already been said, everyone has their favourite drivers that they will plug. Take the numbers of several and you will always have someone to call on.

Economically speaking, if you are likely to do two return journeys a day - say one to the beach and one into town for dinner, then it may be worthwhile hiring a car. It offers flexibility, but if you decide to go with taxis, you will find them reliable.

Hope this helps .....

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental vs. taxi/bus

definitely taxi...there are too many cars on the roads in the winter months and parking is horrendous, plus if you aren't used to the narrow roads and ditches, driving here can be unnerving for visitors...people park wherever they want and driving along some of the roads is like going through a maze with drivers blocked up in both directions...

8. Re: Car rental vs. taxi/bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Bequia
Recent Conversations