We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ciguatera

Hebron, Connecticut
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Ciguatera

I was with a party that recently ate at a restaurant in downtown Bequia. Three of us got ciguatera from a barracuda we ate. I want to warn everyone not to eat barracuda - ciguatera is clearly here. I wish I hadn't! Two weeks later and I am feeling worse than I did when I got it. It has really nasty neurological symptoms as side effects. Just wanted to put in a word and warn people stay way from it - I wish someone had told us!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
847 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ciguatera

I'm sorry to hear about this and hope you get better very soon. I've somehow been blissfully unaware of this issue but after hearing about your situation and reading up on it, I'm scared! Will most definitely stay away from eating barracuda and shark while I'm there.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ciguatera

I remember being told years ago not to eat barracuda unless it was a small one because of the ciguatera. Neighbors of ours at Spring both got it and were deathly ill many years ago, so that's where we learned about it. I find it easier just to avoid barracuda. Hope you feel better soon Felicity.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
83 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ciguatera

Are there other types of fish / seafood to avoid?

Hebron, Connecticut
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ciguatera

Hello yes all reef fish including snapper!

Hebron, Connecticut
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ciguatera

Good also stay clear of snapper any reef fish - supposedly with global warming it is more likely as waters heat up!

Hebron, Connecticut
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ciguatera

Thanks so much ...recovery 4-6 weeks and possibly chronic so not a fun thought and all for a tiny piece of fish - oh well life has surprising twists and turns you never know where it will take you or why!

Hebron, Connecticut
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ciguatera

Symptoms of ciguatera fish poisoning usually go away after a few days or weeks, but can last for years. People who have ciguatera are treated for their symptoms. However, there is no cure for ciguatera fish poisoning.

For more information, please visit the CDC website:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/ciguatera/. This is from the CDC website....so caution I would not under any circumstances take a chance and eat barracuda...just not worth it plenty of other great fish!

CANADA
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ciguatera

Risk of ciguatera increases after events that disturb reefs. Possibly the heavy run-offs from the recent disaster might have had an effect

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
83 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ciguatera

Thanks for the info... guess I will avoid most fish on my trip :s

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
847 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ciguatera

You can eat Mahi Mahi, Lobster and Conch though right? Sure hope so.

Get answers to your questions about Bequia