We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caribbean home cooking

Knutsford
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Caribbean home cooking

I'm coming to Bequia in a couple of weeks time. I've visited many times before but only in passing when sailing through the islands. However, I love cooking and have had to provision and cook for a yacht through some challenging places. I'd love to spend some of my holiday learning about the local cuisine and how to make some local dishes, eg rotis, local curries, goat broth, callalloo soup etc. Love going to markets, last time in Bequia had a great couple of hours talking to all the market traders while I provisioned our boat with fresh produce. Can anyone organise for me to spend a few hours in a local kitchen, especially a "home" kitchen rather than restaurant food? or maybe go round the market with a local cook/chef?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caribbean home cooking

Your best bet would probably be Elfick, otherwise known as the singing chef, who runs Sailors Bar in Ocar. He is a champion of local foods and does offer his services to people renting villas and apartments, not only as a chef but also as a shopping guide.

Knutsford
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caribbean home cooking

Thanks very much for the advice ElwoodKitten, I will try to contact him when I'm there, although I guess if he's running a restaurant in the high season he may be pretty busy!!! But I just love to learn about cooking so maybe I can ask local people when I'm there...counting sleeps...!!!! someone mentioned roti and hairoun at Green Boley elsewhere on the forum and it brought back such great memories....

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,025 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caribbean home cooking

Many of Bequia's terrific chefs leave their island "home kitchens" to work in the restaurants! Ck out Tanti Pearl's where the restaurant is in their home with awesome views. Keegan's at Lower Bay serves many local dishes. Stop by for a chat and they could be making some of their great goatwater or callaloo soup, even better book one of their apartments for a stay. Be sure to go to their Sat night bbq if you are there. Stop in Hendi's and Sailor's. Coco's and the Porthole are other good spots. I have found some recipes online and love roaming the markets on mainland St Vincent (Big with a much larger variety of local grown) Bequa and Union Island all have good ones. Also Jacqie (sp) at Lower Bay grows and sells produce right there and is worth a stop and a chat. Where will you be staying?

I like to buy local spices to bring home when I travel in the islands and they pack easily. Enjoy

Edited: 28 January 2014, 12:55
Knutsford
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caribbean home cooking

Hi obxpat, thanks so much for all the tips! I'll be staying in Port Elizabeth for 9 nights. Looks like I'm going to be munching my way round all the restaurants you've recommended,,,,,guess my middle aged spread is going to get a great big helping hand!!!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,025 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caribbean home cooking

No No ;-) the trick is to walk a LOT around Pt Elizabeth and even down to Lower Bay (easy to take the taxi back to Pt Elizabeth). Mrs Nolene Taylor at the Porthole is a fantastic local cook and very friendly and helpful.I like to go for lunch and have a lighter dinner. Word is Dawn's is back at Lower Bay. Love her fish cakes! Be sure to ask around. Just about any Resident of Bequia is happy to help make your vaction a lovely one.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 15:28
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caribbean home cooking

I eat and drink with abandon when on Bequia. I also walk everywhere. I lose weight. I should walk more when I am at home I guess.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
317 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caribbean home cooking

Same with us dwhopper. Forget the WW points and enjoy the food/drink. We're always amazed that we end up losing a few pounds when we get home! We try to walk everywhere as well. You may not look pretty when you get there (sweaty) but you feel great .. and thirsty!

CANADA
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Caribbean home cooking

Dunno what I'm doing wrong ? We walk from Port Liz to turtle farm to Moonhole to lower bay / PM beach , the Mount Pleasant circuit even up to Mangwana and all places in between and never drop a pound. Could it be a cumulation of all the 26ozs that make up the differance ?????

Knutsford
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caribbean home cooking

Well you all really made me laugh out loud, properly, not in that lol way! Love your comments!!! I was planning on doing some walking and I've been in the region before so I'm used to the hot and sweaty up hill after two beers look (not sexy!!!) we could all make comments about diet and exercise - I see myself as rather fat but quite fit, I've just been fighting a slightly losing battle for about 10 years, where I've lost and lovely wine and nice food have won!!!!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,025 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caribbean home cooking

Oh PLEASE post a trip report letting us know what you enjoyed on island! Who knows, you may just be the one to tease some time tested recipes from a great Bequia cook!

Get answers to your questions about Bequia