We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10% service charge is not the tip

pa
Level Contributor
103 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
10% service charge is not the tip

I've heard many people say that the tip is included. In the US, a service charge is the tip, I think to clear this up the 10% charge should say VAT charge so the wait staff doesn't get cheated out of a tip.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
846 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10% service charge is not the tip

A 10% service charge is NOT a tax in SVG. It seems that there is a lot of variation between restaurants about discloing taxes (VAT). Some put a separate line and some include it in the price--but if there is a service charge, it is not a VAT--it is "tip", although in some places it may be questionable whether the server actually gets it.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10% service charge is not the tip

When rendered good service, no matter where I am, I normally leave a 10-20% tip.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10% service charge is not the tip

I've seen hotels listing 10% tax and 10% service charge as separate, so I understand the service charge is the TIP

However I haven't been there yet, What is tipping practice on the islands?

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10% service charge is not the tip

if in doubt, ask...on the bill though, the VAT should be indicated, and if there is a 10% service charge that is the tip...many places do not add the service charge though, so you really need to read the bill carefully so that you know whether you need to add a tip, or more tip...we generally add another 5% or more if the service warrants it...don't forget about tipping the servers at the Gingerbread...I'm amazed when I have to wait that people who are asking for 4 different types of coffee don't leave a tip...they'd tip a bartender wouldn't they, so why not tip the server who makes your hot beverage of choice...

5. Re: 10% service charge is not the tip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 06:19