We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recycling comes to Bequia

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
recycling comes to Bequia

I don't have all the details yet, but recycling of glass, plastic bottles and aluminum cans is starting up within the next week or so...collection points will be the schools...from what I understand, it's being run as a competition between schools, so perhaps restaurants and hotels can adopt a school to support...the items will be baled and sent over to Kingstown and the schools will be paid by the pound...more info once I have it...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recycling comes to Bequia

If a dollar value can be put on bottles and cans, the kids will clean that island up in no time.

It is hard to recycle in places like the Caribbean without the industrial infrastructure. So what if you can collect the glass. Where can you ship it to be processed? Heavy, low value material. Aluminum and steel and plastic can be baled and shipped to places like China for processing. Glass not so much. '

I really hope this works. Trash is a serious eyesore on the island.

Glen Cove, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recycling comes to Bequia

this is good news! feel so bad tossing all these plastic and glass bottles in the trash! (I'm from NY)

London
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: recycling comes to Bequia

'If a dollar value can be put on bottles and cans, the kids will clean that island up in no time.'

Why should they? It's not their mess!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recycling comes to Bequia

No it is not their mess, but when I was kid we used to scrounge pop bottles and turn them in for candy. Deposit return systems work for just that reason. People will work hard for a buck.

London
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: recycling comes to Bequia

dw

Times have changed

It's different now.

We must stop using plastic.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recycling comes to Bequia

No matter what the argument, recycling can only be a great development for Bequia. Times may be different but I'm willing to guess the kids will be happy to pick up some bottles for ice cream money!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recycling comes to Bequia

Stop using plastics? Half the ex pats on Bequia would expire if we removed the plastic bits from the various medical devices. I think that most forget that the 3Rs were reduce, reuse, recycle with recycle in 3rd place. Reduction and elimination are the long term goals, but recycling in the meantime will begin the reduce the litter issue and conserve landfill space.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 20:27
UK
Level Contributor
594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: recycling comes to Bequia

Absolutely right. Ths is a great positive move, whether the motivation is a few dollars reward or just an awakening of awareness. The Lower Bay community has been working hard to build a recycling depot at the bridge and there's heartfelt enthusiasm in the villlage for its success which I'm sure is mirrored around the island, so I wish all the projects well and hope all visitors will do their bit by supporting the cause while at the same time thinking more carefully about just how much plastic they consume and discard. You only ever need one small plastic bottle for your daily use... refill and re-use!

UK
Level Contributor
594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: recycling comes to Bequia

And let's also remember to take a shopping bag when we hit the supermarket and say no to their carriers... There's nothing uglier than a beautiful palm or frangipani tree that's been festooned by rotting black plastic

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: recycling comes to Bequia

I love the shopping bags made from feed bags. They are inexpensive, handmade and last for years. The Ladies in the Rasta Market have supplied me with great ones that are the envy at home at our Greenmarkets! I find taking a reusable water bottle is a great way to cut back on the dozens of water bottles we might otherwise use. It is not difficult to make a difference! Just a bit of planning and common sense.

Get answers to your questions about Bequia