We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying fish

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
flying fish

Does any one know if thereare flying fish in any resturaunts near lower bay or perhaps at a fish mongers place?thankyou.

World
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying fish

Nope. Flying fish are really not eaten much in the Grenadines. Strange, really.

Also there are no fishmongers in Lower Bay. Some mornings you will hear the conch horn blown down by the beach. That is a sign that the local fishermen have a catch to sell. Generally these are smaller fish, like robins, which local folk gut, and then fry head to tail until they are "cripsy cripsy". Delicious.

Laste in the afternoon, you may see the speedboats coming in from the south where Vincey fishermen will have been in deeper waters catching dorado, kingfish, sea salmon, barracuda, local tuna and so on. Quite often they will stop into lower bay and sell their catch direct from the boat. They use the weigh scales at De Reef to determine how much each fish is worth - price is about 6-8 EC a pound, and one has to buy the whole thing. These are BIG fish.

Finally, you can normally make arrangements with a local Low Bay fisherman to buy some of his catch. Avoid the louts under the trees - ask your landlord or house clearner for advice on whom to deal with

There is also a fishmarket in Port Elizabeth on the shore behind the market stalls. There you can buy pieces of fish subject to availability. When you hear the conch horn blow, run to the market!

World
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying fish

oh yeah - if buying the small fish, be sure to take a plastic bag or shallow pan with you carry them home in. Also, if you are interested in buying a fish from the Vincey boya, make sure that you always tuck a large plastic garbage bag into your beach carry-all.

And , unless you know the person, don't accept an offer from a local 'volunteer' or beach lout to clean your fish. This can be a sca, and they vsn rnf end up charging as much as the fish is worth. My practice is to semi freeze the fish at home and then clean it myself. Not a tough job at all.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,805 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying fish

I have often purchased some nice medium sized snapper from a couple of the fishermen who seem to come in about 1 or 2 in the afternoon around Dawn's Cafe and Da Reef in Lower Bay. Prices were reasonable although it may be that I "suggested" the price rather than asked. In fact in June and July this year they were suprisingly plentiful. In Winter I find the restaurants have a good supply of dolphin (mahi) and always kingfish. I have never bought any in Pt Elizabeth but have seen it at the mkt...certainly your hosts on Bequia can suggest a fisherman to you with a days notice. I'm sure you'll catch my other post about the excellent flying fish found at the Salty Dog. I usually skip the sandwich and have it with just a salad. Either way it will definitely make you think of Barbados!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: flying fish

You can get a delicious Flying Fish sandwich at the "Salty Dog" bar & restaurant in Port Elizabeth. The owner brings in the flying fish from Barbados. Another location for local fish is the Port Hole. Mr. Taylor , the owner is a fisherman and frequently has a good catch.

5. Re: flying fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 15:19