We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Carriacou from Grenada?

Austin
Level Contributor
33 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Carriacou from Grenada?

I was reading that Carriacou makes a great day trip from Grenada. But the ferry gets to Carriacou around 10:30 am and then leaves Carriacou at 3:30 pm. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to go and only have 5 hours on the island. We'd like to see at least one good beach, but we're worried that we wouldn't have enough time to really enjoy a beach, snorkel and grab lunch. Has anyone gone to Carriacou on a day trip? Advice?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Carriacou from Grenada?

Carriacou is small. I did a one day trip and really enjoyed it (fast speed ferry). You can take a quick (45 min tour around the island) they will drop you at the beach where there is a small bar/restaurant. A boat from there will take you out to snorkel and return you back to the ferry dock! Go for it, I think you'll be glad you did! Take plenty of sunscreen and extra water along for the snorkel trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Carriacou from Grenada?

5 hours is ample for Carriacou, in my opinion, although it does depend on how much time you want to spend snorkeling and on the beach. If you need more time, it is possible to fly from Grenada to Carriacou, and back, although it will cost quite a bit more.

You might get more help if you post in the Grenada forum - Carriacou does actually belong to Grenada and not to St Vincent & the Grenadines.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Carriacou from Grenada?

Surely this whole forum needs moving to the Grenada category? as you say its nothing to do with St Vincent.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Carriacou from Grenada?

it actually has value on either. While Carriacou is in Grenada, many travelers to SVG connect in Grenada and spend time there as well. Personally I prefer connecting there over Barbados when coming to SVG.

World
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Carriacou from Grenada?

agreed there is value in having this post on both boards. That said, Carriacou is part of Grenada and that's where the Carriacou board should be. Imagine the outrage if the Michigan board showed up the Ontario forum!

I've reported the problem to TA previously but they seem to be unable to fix it.

BTW, I do think that 5 hours is not enough for Carriacou and would recommend planning an overnight stay if possible.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Carriacou from Grenada?

I agree. While I thoroughly enjoyed the day trip, as we were leaving I wished that the plan had been to spend a couple of nights there. Each trip I mean to get back there but always wind up at Union, Mayreau and can't seem to leave Bequia!

Sunny London
Level Contributor
278 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Carriacou from Grenada?

Hi

Like others have posted I belive you need to stay more than 5 hours at least overnight unless you are just trying to put another pin on your travel map. The wife spends more time than deciding what to wear.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Carriacou from Grenada?

Have any of you flown over from Grenada? I want to know how far ahead you have to go to the airport to check in. I am trying to pick which day to go. There are 9am and 7:45am departures.

Thanks!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Carriacou from Grenada?

I flew from Grenada to Carriacou about three years ago (7.45am flight). If I remember correctly, check-in was half an hour before departure (ie 7.15am). The plane was tiny, so it didn't take long to load up.

The views were amazing.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Carriacou from Grenada?

Thanks!! I think we will go with the 9am departure. We have flown in those tiny planes before. I always feel bad for the gate agent who has to ask all the women what they weigh so they can load the plane properly!!

Get answers to your questions about Carriacou Island