We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to eat & beaches

Alberta, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
places to eat & beaches

We will be going to Carriacou at Christmas. Does anyone have suggestions on places to eat and where the best beaches are located??

Essex, England
Level Contributor
244 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to eat & beaches

We were in Carriacou last December. Have you been before? It's a great place to go if you want peace and quiet. The island has a very safe feel to it. We really liked it.

The best beaches by far are Paradise. You can get the bus there but we would definitely recommend getting yourself some transport of your own. Or Anse Le Roche which is stunning but takes over an hour to walk to (you will need water) or you can take a boat.

As for places to eat, that's a difficult one. The Green Roof Inn was great 2 years ago but last year it appeared to have gone downhill a bit. The best meals we had were delivered to our villa by the agents Down Island Villa Rentals. Otherwise most 'restaurants' like you to book ahead so they can get the food in.

It's not that easy to get the sort of food you might be used to in the supermarkets, especially if you're like me and don't eat meat, but there are freshly caught fish each day.There are also some market type stalls selling vegetables along the main road in Hillsborough. Yuo just need to be a bit inventive.

The best person to ask about anything on the island is the guy who runs the Internet Cafe in Hillsborough. He's originally from Canada and very friendly. Check out grenadines.net/carriacou

Mentioned in this post
Green Roof Inn
Green Roof Inn
39 Reviews
Grenada
Hillsborough
Hillsborough
Carriacou Island, Grenada
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,483 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to eat & beaches

In Hillsborough, make sure you take a water taxi to Sandy Cay for the day.

Mentioned in this post
Hillsborough
Hillsborough
Carriacou Island, Grenada
World
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to eat & beaches

I thought the best restaurants were in Tyrrel Bay, probably because it is a popular yacht anchorage - Scrapers, Sel et Poivre, and a rum shop at the far end of town were all very good.

Alberta, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: places to eat & beaches

Thanks to those who replied to my post. This is our first trip to this island and we're staying at a villa above Paradise Beach - so it looks like we chose a good spot.

I do have one more question - does anyone know where they would be good places to snorkle??

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Beach
Paradise Beach
5 Reviews
Grenada
World
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to eat & beaches

Sandy Island is good. White Island is so-so. For the best, take a day trip to the Tobago Cays.

Mentioned in this post
Sandy Island
Sandy Island
176 Reviews
Grenada
Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
537 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places to eat & beaches

Are you staying at Las Tortugas by chance? We are honeymooning there in January. Would love to hear about your experience.

Alberta, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: places to eat & beaches

Lambson,

Yes, we are staying at Las Tortugas. A friend did a lot of research on the villa before we booked and we are looking forward to our stay there. We get back to Canada about Jan. 10 - so I'll give you a "review" if you haven't left for Carriacou by then.

Cambridge MA
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: places to eat & beaches

has anyone stayed in a good, cheap apartmnet/cottage (with kitchen) in tyrrel bay or near by?

also, has anyone heard of scraper's bayview? is it nice?

thanks!

Cambridge MA
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: places to eat & beaches

has anyone stayed in a good, cheap apartmnet/cottage (with kitchen) in tyrrel bay or near by?

also, has anyone heard of scraper's bayview? is it nice?

thanks!

World
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: places to eat & beaches

APFwong - Tyrrell Bay is a yachtie favourite and has lots of decent little restaurants - the Old Rum Shop, Scrapers (my favourite) and Sel et Poivre, for example. I personally would not enjoy a land stay there because the beach is quite muddy owing to the mangrove swamp near by.

Mentioned in this post
Old Rum Shop
Old Rum Shop
3 Reviews
Grenada
Get answers to your questions about Carriacou Island
Recent Conversations