We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo traveller Mustique, St Barts & accomodations_First time

ny
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
solo traveller Mustique, St Barts & accomodations_First time

Hello,

I was looking into travelling as a single female for R&R at the end of the month for 5 or 6 days. After reading about St Barths and learning how extremely safe the island is as well the accessibilty from St Marten via a boat rather than having to bear puddle jumper plane, I decided to go that route. I am travelling alone and are on the young side, and basically looking for relaxtion, a beautiful beach and somewhere that I can get away without renting a car. Since I am not finding so much availability in terms of accomodations in St Barts (could anyone suggest a place where a young single girl will not feel awkard staying alone?) decided to take a look at Mustique on tripadvisor. Also I will be there right before the high season, around Thanksgiving, and I am now getting a feeling that ST Barths may not be exactly what I am looking for if everyone will be in a somewhat glitzy, party mode? Do not mind having a few drinks in the evening, but do not want to feel awkard or stand out being alone which can happen in certain atmostpheres!!

In regards to Mustique, after looking at it from pictures, thought it more resembled what I was looking for - especially the cotton house. Thought the beaches appeared beautiful and looked unhibited. If I would head to mustique, would I defiinetly need a car? Would I be ok alone, a young female? And and most importantly, the Cotton House which I would LOVE to stay is asking 4 figures a night, which I just can't do-Is there any other type of accomodations that would suite me or am I just stuck?? Oh and lastly, if I do head to Mustique from NY, looks like I must ultimately step foot in a puddle jumper; small plane holding very few people which is really not my forte, plus I will be in sheer terror during the ride...unless there is a boat you can take that is not too expensive??

Thanks so much everyone!!

World
Level Contributor
974 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo traveller Mustique, St Barts & accomodations_First time

Mustique is 140 miles from Barbados across open ocean so a boat is not really an option (although my partner would love it if it were). If youcannot tolerate small planes Mustique is not really an option. Having said that the Mustique Company owns and maintains 4 twin Otters these are 19 seat airplanes with two pilots so they are not that bad. If you have an option to fly to St Lucia instead of Barbados from the US the flight to Mustique is only 25 mins verses the 45 from Barbados. My partner reallly hates the small plane but has a strong rum and coke from the bar at the Barbados airport and then braces for the flight knowing it is so worth it when you get there.

I know Mustique well so I a do not think I can comment on being alone on Mustique and at that time of year the island maybe very very quite. Having said that if you are looking for solitude you will get it. Also Mustique is very very safe. That is not to say that nothing has ever happened one has to take normal procautions about where you go and with whom, but for good and bad, Mustique is really a gated community with both SVG police and private Musitque security. One of our most significant assets is our safety, security and privacy so I am comfortable recommending it for a single woman traveller.

With respect to accomodation there are two options (other than a villa rental) The other option over Cotton House is FIrefly, which in fact may suit you better, it is a 5 bedroom "guest house" where Stan and Elizabeth will take care of you. Checkout www.fireflymustique.com. Firefly is not on the beach but each room has a plunge pool and comes with an electric GEM car so you can pack up a picknic and explore any beach you would like. Also if you call Stan you maybe able to negotiate something, That is not to say that the Cotton House might not also negotiate,

If you stay at Firefly there is nothihng stopping you using the drink service at the Cotton House beach but as that is not the best beach on the island, i think a cooler of drinks in your car is a better option anyway.

If you have any specific questions about Mustique please just ask

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo traveller Mustique, St Barts & accomodations_First time

There was a post a while back from another solo traveller who did stay on mustique who loved it. Do a quick research on it to find the thread. Firefly and cotton house offer free flights from Barbados to mustique. Although the plane is smallish in size it's not that bad. The electric car at the firefly will let you zip around the island easily, there is no traffic, stop signs, it's like driving on back roads. Also think firefly might suit you best. See if stan can offer you a better rate than advertised.

World
Level Contributor
974 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo traveller Mustique, St Barts & accomodations_First time

This is the link to that other thread:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147385-i2776-k2614…

Edited: 13 November 2011, 18:57
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solo traveller Mustique, St Barts & accomodations_First time

Take a look at Bequia as well. Close to Mustique but with more dining and lodging options at very good prices. No need at all for a car rental. Lovely beaches and friendly people..they will welcome you without feeling intrusive. I often traveled to Bequia as a single female with no problem. Not as glitzy as St Barts or Mustique but a terrific Caribbean island for a get away imo. Grenada is another excellent option if budget for Mustique is stretched.

ny
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: solo traveller Mustique, St Barts & accomodations_First time

Thank you as that was right on the money!!

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: solo traveller Mustique, St Barts & accomodations_First time

jbourdain,

Where did you end up going? Mustique, Saint Barth or both? I am keen to hear your comments. I know Saint Barth very well and am very tempted by Mustique.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: solo traveller Mustique, St Barts & accomodations_First time

You can't go wrong with Musique, it's a slice of paradise.

ny
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: solo traveller Mustique, St Barts & accomodations_First time

I ended up in St Barths and loved. After travelling to a limited few islands in the carribean, this by far was my favorite. I felt very safe and at ease the entire time, that it would be the ideal place to visit for anyone travelling solo. As for the puddler jumper, yes my stomach dropped and I really could not wait to land, but I was so taken back with the intial views that I really did pay it that much mind. If I was to return, would def choose the plane over the ferry just for the ease of the connection and the shorter time of travel.

I have yet to visit Mustique and still curious about the island. If the island looks radically different than st barths, more serene, then I would def consider a visit in the future. And is it true that firefly or was it cotton house, that offerred a free connecting flight to and from Barbados? Also what seemed a bit of concerned and unsure if it is true, was that both of these places seemed like they wanted to have a family style vibe to it where I would feel somewhat obligated to eat or drink with the other patrons. Do not get me wrong, I do not mind here or there nor do I prefer mega size resorts, but at that time I was just looking for peace, quiet, and solitude. I was extremely happy with my decision to choose st barths over mustique, bc it offerred everything I was looking for and without ever feeling lonely.

Thanks again everyone for all your feedback!

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: solo traveller Mustique, St Barts & accomodations_First time

Great, thank you for the response. I am a Saint Barth regular and love it mostly for its calm and sophistication. I was hoping perhaps you could compare it with Mustique. I am tempted to try the latter. Oh well.

BTW, where did you end up staying in SBH? I recall you were considering Eden Rock and les Islets.

10. Re: solo traveller Mustique, St Barts & accomodations_First time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 20:15