We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mustique reviews

Northeast Harbor...
4 posts
Save Topic
Mustique reviews

I have one more question...Mustique seems so lovely and I wonder why it is not listed on more Best of lists? It is hardly ever mentioned yet seems so amazing.

13 replies to this topic
World
Level Contributor
974 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mustique reviews

First of all I think Mustique does get a fair bit of press (particularly recently with Kate and William) but in fact it is something we try to avoid.

Basils bar has in the past been rated as one of the best bars in the world and Macaroni beach has been rated as one of the best beaches in the world, but publications are always looking for something new.

Also, your question is sort of like when the list of the 100 best golf courses comes out and people say what about this exclusive course or that but it is so exclusive the reviewers have not played it. Similiarly the reality with Mustique is that with only 70 or so houses that rent and 20 hotel rooms, there just aren't that many people who are in a position to provide a review.

In my opinion the new introductory video on the Mustique web site www.mustique-island.com really encapsulates a holiday on Mustique, but one maynot be able to appreciate that until you have been there.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mustique reviews

Highly highly overrated. It used to be a LOT more inviting but the management company on the island has pretty much decided they don't want visitors. Very expensive....any other island is $15-$20 to tie up a boat on a mooring ball.....$75 per night in Mustique. You used to be able to rent motorized 'mules' ( golf carts on steroids) to self tour the island....that was fun, but no more. Food over priced and ambience over rated. NOT tourist friendly....basic attitude is "drop three or four hundred and leave quietly." We visit the Grenadines almost every year on a sailboat and will pass up Mustique.....Bequia (close by) has figured it out. Better off a Mac's Pizza (lobster pizza is incredible) on Bequia than Basil's or Firefly on Mustique any day.

Edited: 10 April 2012, 13:28
World
Level Contributor
974 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mustique reviews

This is part of a reply of mine on another thread onthe topic of landing fees on Mustique:

I think you will see in some posts of mine from a year ago that the landing fee was supposed to be charged to all visitors to Mustique. For whatever reason, it appears that this is only now being implemented.

You say rip off, but please remember that Mustique is a private island owned by the homeowners. The Mustique Company provides all the services on the island from the dock you land on, the roads you walk on and disposes of the garbage visitors leave. There are real costs to your visit to Mustique; why should the homeowners of Mustique absorb them?

CANADA
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mustique reviews

Basically boils down to the fact that Bequia needs and encourages tourism whereas Mustique does not . It can survive on the wealth of its property owners and frankly if I had several millions of dollars tied up in a vacation home I'm not sure I'd want hoards of tourists disturbing the tranquility of a tiny island. It is after all a private island. Let the rich and famous enjoy their peace and quiet and come to Bequia where you can still rub shoulders with the rich , if not so famous, plus enjoy some of the friendliest people on earth having the time of their lives

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mustique reviews

I was once asked to leave Mustique. Young man antics, involving some fairly mundane hijinks and some minor royalty. I suspect I would have to be in handcuffs to be asked to leave Bequia. That is the key difference between the islands. And as was said before, if I had paid a couple of million to have a fancy place on a private island, then you unwashed mob can just shove off.

Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mustique reviews

For the dollars we leave at the businesses we visit.... They are simply not wanting tourists.... which is fine with me... I get to vote with my dollars and they are no longer a competitive place for me to spend my money. I'm pretty sure many others will feel the same. In an area where tourism is a key part of the economy, they have chosen to appeal only to the very upper percentile. Good for them. I'll vist other places with just as nice beaches, just as nice shops and restaurants, and just as nice locals who want my business.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mustique reviews

As Groucho Marx said, "I wouldn't be a member of any club that would have me."

This is a club that doesn't want the likes of you and me.

World
Level Contributor
974 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mustique reviews

I really think that that is unfair. This all must be put into context, Unlike the other islands of the Grenadines, Mustique is a private island. It is owed by the 100 or so villa owners. It is in effect a condo corporation. And just like any condo

the primary reason for the existence of the services on the island is to support the homeowners, their guests and renters who in turn pay for all of those services. If you rent a villa or stay in one of the hotels on Mustique then all of the services on the island are there for you to enjoy.

For those of you who live in condos or gated communities what would you think of someone visiting from the building next door and using the gym and pool?

Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mustique reviews

Didn't ask to use the gym or the pool.

And I don't disagree with your comments

Anywhere else in the Grenadines is $15 or $20 to tie up on a mooring for the night. I agree that Mustique has a perfect right to do this.....and all I am doing is pointing out that those touring the Grenadines by boat should probably pass Mustique by and go on to Bequia where they are more welcoming for tourists .Mustique has made their position clear....I'm not sure how Basil's will survive as itinerant travelers by-pass the island for tourist friendlier islands but that's what seems to be occurring. I'm sure Mustique will enjoy their increasing solitude.

World
Level Contributor
974 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mustique reviews

Mustique is also a really uncomfortable anchorage.

I guess I was just being defensive as you (Tondalayo) and I seem to agree more than we disagree.

Reply to: Mustique reviews
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mustique