We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mayreau

WA72LS
Level Contributor
92 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
mayreau

Hi we on a cruise ship with a 11 stop could any one recommend any company's or taxis to a nice beach with good snorkel salt whistle bay how far from the port and apx cost tobago cays which is the better for snorkel and beaches any advise please thx in advance

11 replies to this topic
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mayreau

I think you will find the tiny Island of Mayreau very easy to navigate. No port, two taxis. Only 2 beaches. Be sure to walk up the hill to the one village and enjoy the views and local restaurants/bars. Snorkeling at the Tobago Cays is very good. I'm sure water taxis will be avail for the trip there.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mayreau

No port. A wharf on each side. Village witha great view on top. Stupid steep hills each side.

Fun island. Drinks and food at Dennis's or Righteous Roberts. Very nice beaches. A few goats and some people.

England
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mayreau

I too will be visiting Mayreau and am looking for things to do.

My understanding is it is a tender port so my husband wont be able to take his wheelchair this means he is limited to just the few yards he can walk. Will there be anything he can see or do. Can we get a taxi up the hill? Thanks for any info.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mayreau

I have not seen a wheelchair on Mayreau. You can definitely take a taxi up the hill (and should). Ask them to take you to the small stone Catholic Church, awesome views out back over the cays, Union Island etc. Then go to Dennis' Guest House where you can have lunch, drinks etc and use the fresh water pool and deck. Delicious local seafood, veggies etc and Dennis is a very interesting "Host". You could even taxi over the island to Saltwhistle Bay and enjoy the lovely beach there but no lounges or chairs to rent.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mayreau

Getting around on Mayreau for a mobility impaired person will be a challenge. Doable, but a real challenge. I think if you called Dennis beforehand you might be able to arrange things with his assistance. The hills are so steep that nobody could push a wheelchair up them and speeds would approach supersonic going down them.

Getting a car ride to the top of the hill will be essential. I agree with the church for the view and Dennis's for local flavour. Righteous Roberts is also fun, but if I remember it would not be very wheelchair friendly.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mayreau

With the taxi Zemmie's Husband should be ok taking the taxi ride up and over the hill. Either stop for a cold drink on Saltwhistle beach or just take in the view from the taxi. Dennis' pool area/outside dining is located close to the road and by Mayreau standards is a pretty flat area. Since the tender is unable to accomodate the wheelchair he can hopefully walk that short distance from the taxi to the seating. Robert Righteous may be more of a challenge with the 4 or 5 stairs up to the dining area. It is great for drinks but the food and view at Dennis' is far superior imo and I personally love Robert and support his efforts for the children of Mayreau! The view from the top of the hill at the church and at Dennis' is one not soon forgotten and the friendliness of the people on Mayreau is not to be missed.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 18:09
England
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mayreau

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like we will be ok providing there is a taxi available. Not long to go now this time next month we will be there :)

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mayreau

I love dennis hideaway and myreay

it is my favourite place we come back every year he is a fantastic host and he always looks after us see you next year

Nick and Annette Lots of love

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
8,075 posts
1,221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mayreau

with which cruise line will you get there?

World
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mayreau

Seabourn stops there from time to time. Also Silversea, a cruise line owned by an Italian family. Both are first class.

Reply to: mayreau
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mayreau
Recent Conversations