We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about safety ?

Cheboygan County...
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about safety ?

With all the negative reviews I have read about Trinidad...I'm wondering if it's safe even if we're on a cruiseship tour?

Are things really that bad? If so...I'm suprised the cruiselines (very few) even stop here!

The tour we plan on taking is a highlight/beach tour. They take you to various scenic lookouts for the views. Then to Maracas Beach for a drink and a quick look. It doesn't sound like we stay there very long...maybe 20 minutes.

P&Q

Trinidad and Tobago
Level Contributor
173 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about safety ?

Sounds like you'll spend the better part of a day here. If you're with a tour, you will be safe.

Cheboygan County...
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about safety ?

Thanks Rockie:)

I'm glad to hear it! Guess I just needed a little reassurance!

P&Q

orlando,fl
Level Contributor
502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about safety ?

Bandits,kidnappers and murderers are walking into stores and peoples homes during the middle of the day with hundreds of people watching,so it's just a matter of time before they target the groups of tourist.I know i will get a negative feed back for saying so,but time will tell.Trinidad made headline news in one of the TV stations a couple of weeks ago as being the number one kidnapping country in the world.Your prime minister is visiting Libya,i bet he and Mr Taylor would have been buddys if he was not in jail.

kennebunk maine
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about safety ?

Trinidad is a beautiful island and i would strongly recommend going there. I just got beck from a trip the islands and had the best time of my life. I also never once felt unsafe or unwelcomed.

kennebunk maine
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about safety ?

Trinidad is a beautiful island and i would strongly recommend going there. I just got beck from a trip the islands and had the best time of my life. I also never once felt unsafe or unwelcomed.

orlando,fl
Level Contributor
502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about safety ?

heidi....you are very luck so far,but most locals in Trinidad live in caged homes,they don't go out after dark unless with a group of people and most well to do fear of being kidnapped,robbed etc.Crime has spread to every part of Trinidad,most of the people that you see out late at night are the lowlifes that has no money in their pocket and has nothing to lose,that is also one of the reasons the better clubs in Trinidad has a guest list and prices are high,just to keep the animals out.I have walked the worst parts of Harlem,Brooklyn,Miami L.A, and Atlanta late at night by myself and never had any problem,but i will not do that in Trinidad.

London, UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about safety ?

You'll be fine on an organized tour and a cruise ship. Just to give you an indication, we took the ferry at 2.30 in the morning and were in the docks for a couple of hours and there were a few people milling around doing the same, I never felt threatened. We also (during the day) walked to Maracas from Maraval and didn't sense any threats. Trinis are very security-conscious, but they will tell you that you just need to avoid certain areas like Bel-Air, and do not stop on the highway to/from Piarco at night.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
685 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about safety ?

I have no idea how bad it is but I got a email from a guest house I was looking at staying at and all it said was please pray for trinidad

I have no idea how to take that

9. Re: Worried about safety ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Trinidad