We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Safety

London England
8 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental Safety

Hello

I would be grateful if someone could advise on how safe it is to travel around Trinidad using a rental car. I will be spending Three weeks in May with my girlfriend who is originally from Trinidad . Depending who I've spoken to on this matter I've received various answers which have left me somewhat confused , is anyone able to provide some clear advice.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Safety

I grew up in Trinidad and drove for 4 years before i migrated,i dont drive or attempt to when i visit every year.I do drive in Tobago,if you decide to rent a car,make sure and get all the insurance coverages available to you.It's really scary driving or being driven in Trinidad,drinking and driving is also a normal thing for most people including some taxi drivers.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad
Level Contributor
240 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Safety

Hey Simon,

My usual advise to any first time visitors is do not rent a car. Driving is very erratic and aggressive, people overtaking on the shoulder, pedestrians crossing anywhere, taxis stopping in the middle of the road, tailgaters, potholes that jump out at you, poorly lit roads, general lack of street signs and directions and I'm still to find a detailed driving map of Trinidad. Think driving in Rome and you would have a bit of an idea.

Once you see the "style" of driving for yourself, you can be your own judge. Cars are usually available so if you think you can handle it you can always go ahead and rent a car once you get here.

Hope this helps clear things up for you.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Safety

To give you an idea whether you would want to drive or not, I was raised in Trinidad, lived there for 30 years, left 10 years ago and when I went back for a visit, I did NOT want to drive!

Get your girlfriends relatives to show you around. They will be more than happy to do so and you will have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Safety

If you are not used to driving in Trinidad,it could be suicidal if you do, i am sure some tourist has S**t their pants.I always say this is Madness going on when i travel in Trinidad,sometimes i can not believe my eyes and have to slap myself real hard.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Loveland
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Safety

lol!!

love

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Safety

And then you see some of them driving with a carib in one hand a cigarette in the other,bareback, music blasting and they looking back and talking to the person in the back seat,all this going on at 90 MPH,OH.... and NO SEATBELT and the car is 40 years old with four smooth tires,no bumpers,lights or horn.I think i have to make a movie,it will be a bigger hit than LOVEBUG.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Safety

Ok, trini4life IS exaggerating a wee bit. <grin>. But let's put it this way. When you start that rental car engine you will be playing Russian roulette.

Impose on the girlfriend's relatives or friends to show you both around and take you to the nightclubs etc.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Safety

Cluts,how is the land situation in Brandon?I am in Orlando and it's out of control.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Loveland
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Safety

I just got back from Vegas and have a real horror story! We rented an SUV........and were almost car-jacked by three thugs (two men and a woman)at a gas station. Luckily, my daughter (who is a police radio dispatcher and my husband (who is a retired police officer) were "on their toes" and we were quickly able to flee..............."petal to metal!" The thugs didn't chase us; I'm sure they preferred to wait for more victims. You really can't be safe driving anywhere!! Be careful out there folks! Driving can be hazardous to your health!!

love

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental Safety

That Las Vegas strip is like NYC 42nd Street back in the 60's-70's,plenty scum all over.How come non of this good stuff dont happen to me?Next time be prepared and walk with some mace or pepper spray.

Mentioned in this post