We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in TnT?

Which Port of Spain hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in TnT?

I'm coming into TnT this August for two weeks. I'm young(21, Haitian-American), I'm fun, and I love to dance and drink. While I know I won't be going out all the time, partying, eating well, and enjoying myself is very immportant to me.

I am wondering what are some cool places to eat and go out in Trinidad mainly and Tobago (for a weekend).

For Tobago, I heard about the street party Sunday School in Buccoo and about Afterhours in Crowne Point. Anybody been? Are they any good?

As for Trinidad (mainly POS) I'm all ears for suggestions. I'm not into any specific scene and the places don't have to be ridiculously upscale, I just want to be in places where I can get down and dance til late.

btw, if I am staying in Newtown, near Royal College, is everything within walking distance or should I be taking taxis to places?

Names or addresses to specific places are definately welcome!

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in TnT?

You could take a look at

www.cre-ole.com

It's safer to take taxis after dark.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in TnT?

Can't speak for Trinidad....altho they have great bars as previously suggested by the website. Sunday school in Tobago can be fun...however usually with others from Tobago or in a group. If you go to Tobago for a weekend or whatever...you will have no problem hooking up with some fun people.....just talk to some locals around Store Bay area etc and you will get the jest of things. I would suggest doing some research on www.mytobago.info or Tobago Yes Tourism website. There are always 'fast talkers' there now, but talk to some learned taxi drivers or hoteliers/workers etc and get an idea of what to do.

Have fun and be careful.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in TnT?

Unless there is something special going on in Tobago...getting down and dancing til late won't be on the agenda.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in TnT?

Newtown near Queens Royal College is close to some things but a little further than you would want. But it is a short walk to Tragarete Rd where you can get a taxi.

You could take a walk around the Savannah past QRC - there will be a few people jogging after work. Walk into lower Maraval past the Kapok hotel - there are a few shops there.

Take a leisurely walk along Tragarete Rd - a few eating places you might want to try.

Do not walk alone at night though.

Boston
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in TnT?

the website has been really helpful, I got a good sense of things from there. Thanks a bunch!

Boston
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in TnT?

How far do you think the college QRC would be from independence sq or st james by foot? woukd it take more than 20 min in either direction?

I'm not too worried about walking around. I like walking and I have lived in "unsafe" places most of my life - nothing new. Plus I will be in town with a friend most of the time, tho they aren't local either.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in TnT?

It is about 3/4 mile from QRC to the beginning of St. James and about 1.5 miles to Independence Square - now called Brian Lara promenade.

T & T
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in TnT?

About 15 mins walk to St. James - beginning of it anyway and about 20 -30 minutes to Independence Sq.

Great location you're staying in by the way - close enough to the savannah, ariapita avenue and Port of Spain.

Enjoy your holiday in T & T.

London, UK
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in TnT?

In Port of Spain, I would definitely advise that you take a taxi after dark.

There are 2 main (and safe) clubs to explore - Club Zen and Club 51 degrees. 51 is quite close to you in Newtown on Cipriani Boulevard. Zen is located at the top of Frederick Street. any night from Thursday to Saturday should be a good night.

Ariapita Avenue has a myriad of bars on offer, and it's relatively safe to walk there during the day, and up to about 7/730 pm. Friday afternoon in Corner Bar is always fun.

With regards to food -perhaps we should communicate one on one, as Trinidad is foodie heaven, and you can find a lot of diverse opportunities to savour the flavour of Trinidad in and around Port of Spain.

A trip to Maracas Bay is worth it, as is the bake and shark on offer, and the amazingly scenic drive through the hills of the North Coast. It's about 30 minutes from Port of Spain.

Tobago has a few small spots, though it really offers more respite from the hustle and bustle of Trinidad, more than anything else. Do ensure that you have lunch on Store Bay and sample the curried crab and dumplin, or a traditional macaroni pie/callaloo/stew chicken combo from one of the local vendors. It is a must-do in Tobago.

10. Re: What to do in TnT?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2010, 05:17