We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt, Kapok or 40 Winks - where would you stay?

Charlotte, North...
10 posts
Save Topic
Hyatt, Kapok or 40 Winks - where would you stay?

In Port of Spain for 2 nights before heading to Tobago. Looking at the Hyatt, Kapok and 40 Winks. We travel the Caribbean extensively (over 30 islands so far) and typically prefer local establishments over chains, but safety is also a concern. Safe location, central location near restaurants & shopping, friendly service, clean and comfortable - that's what we seek. Would love any guidance from Trinidad experts!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt, Kapok or 40 Winks - where would you stay?

I've stayed at the Hyatt several times and it's been excellent each time. Haven't tried the other two.

Port of Spain...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt, Kapok or 40 Winks - where would you stay?

Hyatt is the premiere hotel in the country, with service and quality standards yet unsurpassed, right on the doorstep of downtown Port of Spain (POS). Very aesthetic, suited for business travellers or a casual visitor with high demands.

Kapok is a smaller, locally owned chain located very close to the lovely Queens Park Savannah (decidedly more "uptown" Port of Spain). Very charming on its own, the pool and other facilities may not be on par with Hyatt, but they have been upgrading rooms and suites in recent months.

If you plan on exploring the Hotel environs, IMHO Kapok is the safer choice, I live in Trinidad and personally eschew walking in the downtowm POS area where Hyatt is located, although the hotel itself is very safe.

Both hotels have in-house restaurants, Hyatt with its contemporary international cuisine, Kapok offers local fare at the bar, along with a polynesian restaurant (Kapok is also an easy distance to the fabulous Chaud Restaurant).

Sorry I cant offer help on 40 Winks, cant opine what I dont know about! Regardless, do enjoy your stay in TNT!!

N.A.
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt, Kapok or 40 Winks - where would you stay?

I've stayed at the Kapok several times. Nice, good and clean hotel. Nice restaurants in the hotel. Complimentary breakfast is also nice.

4. Re: Hyatt, Kapok or 40 Winks - where would you stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 09:16
Get answers to your questions about Port of Spain
Recent Conversations