We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Port of Spain

Port of Spain...
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Port of Spain

I am moving to POS in August. I would like to know what sort of stores do they have (anything like Target/Walmart/any super store) and do they have any big wholesale stores (Costco/Sam's Club)? Also, my husband is an avid fisherman. We would like to buy a boat with a SMALL cabin and are wondering if there is any online (Craigslist) type websites we can look at?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,746 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Port of Spain

The only wholesale type of store is one called Price Mart. They have some of the Kirkland (Costco) products. Nothing like Target or Walmart - nearest thing would be a small chain of stores called Excellent Stores.

Best place to find a boat for sale is the classifieds of the local newspapers.

Check this website for links to a few of the local rags: Guardian, Express, Newsday - www.trinidadandtobagonews.com

Before you buy a boat though I recommend that you go out with someone who already has a boat and does fishing. You will also have to find a place to keep the boat. Many people use the Trinidad Yacht Club.

What line of work is your husband in? Maybe some of his work colleagues will have a boat.

Have you ever visited Trinidad before? If not it could be somewhat of a culture shock so do some research before you leave.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 00:58
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Port of Spain

The store is actually called Pricesmart and its a warehouse shopping complex similar to Sams Club and Costco with membership required.

trinidad
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Port of Spain

There are various malls, namely West Mall in Westmoorings, Movietowne, and of course Long Circular Mall and many stores on Frederick Street. As said previously there is PriceSmart which has a card system so you have to sign up they sell in bulk.

There is also Hi-Lo Food Stores and so many choices. When you arrive you can ask your colleagues who have been here before.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Port of Spain

I am not sure if you are going to be staying in the Western Peninsula, e.g., the Goodwood Park, Glencoe area, which is near to the Trinidad Yatch Club, Maraval, Federation Park or anywhere else in the North (University of West Indies Complex). or in the South near to the oil fields. I am just assuming that you may be a future ex-pat. It depends on which part of Trinidad you will be living. The best thing would be to contact the Yatch Club for the boating information but don`t purchase anything until you get to Trinidad and research things while you are there. My cousin, who is not from Trinidad, refers to Trinidad as an island, with the expression that it is a little rock. You may be surprised when you get there. Expect a bit of a culture shock. I go through this everywhere that I go. Don’t go there thinking America, please leave America behind and do not make comparisons and you will be a happy camper. There are many types of shopping to be found in Trinidad and there are lots of stores and malls in the North, South, East and West. Yes, there is a Pricesmart but do not expect to get the fabulous sales that you will get in America in your daily shopping elsewhere. There are places that have things that are cheaper than N.A. I found this with some of the cosmetic lines that are available, drapes from all over the world, and summer clothes. You will have to be there to learn all the outlets and know where the bargains are. Local foods are much cheaper than the foreign foods that you may want to purchase. You can pick up some good Caribbean cook books when you get there for home cooking. There are many. There are also lots of cheap, delicious street foods and cheap to expensive restaurants which cater foods from all over the world.

I am not sure if you are going there with your husband on a contract. It would be a good idea to check out the articles on Trinidad on Wikipedia.com. They have written some excellent articles on Trinidad. There is also a whole page on Port-of-Spain, I recommend them highly. I enjoy You Tube done by Prissytroopers Caribbean Guide. Young foreign people getting into the nitty-gritty simple side of life as they see it. You will have a good laugh but might enjoy. Read the official government sites. Read as many GOOD articles on Trinidad on the Internet that you can before going. Don’t just read into the negative things that people who visit for one week write. They don’t know the place. Yes, there is crime. I am more terrified walking in New York City than I am in Trinidad. But leave America behind.

I will let you in on a little secret. People don`t move at a fast pace, no one is going to drop down from a heart attack because of moving fast. Yes, the cars, they fly, but not the people. Don`t isolate yourself completely and show some respect to the people who live there and you will get all the help and love from them that you need. Trinidadians are beautiful people and love outsiders but you have to figure them out first and once you link up with the RIGHT people you will have a wonderful stay. Love and peace from an ex-Trinidadian, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Port of Spain...
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Port of Spain

Thank you for your response. We work for the Int'l School POS. We will be living in Westmoorings or Diego Martin.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Port of Spain

Westmooring is a very nice area and Diego Martin also has some nice areas. It is like everywhere else in this world; there are areas that you would not venture out into and there are areas that you would love. The Yacht Club is also nearby so you will not have to go far for your boat if you use there. You can also moor your boat at Chaguaramus which is further west and has a hotel and restaurants. You can check the latter out on the Internet also. I also think that the school is nearby. There is a very nice mall at Westmooring and the area is not far from St. James, Maraval, Woodbrook and the city, where there are lots of eating places and places to shop. You can carry down the cosmetics that you treasure the most just in case they don't carry that line but Trinidad is very up-to-date and not a dump as some people who never see much of the place portray. It would be also a good idea to have a good stock of your medication with you until you get a family doctor and are settled in. I hope my input has helped. Take care and good luck.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 20:17
phila usa
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Port of Spain

Hi Beth z ! Ginger3556 is right on point. Have you been to Trinidad before? Youtube has video clips on HOUSE HUNTERS INTERNATIONAL TRINIDAD&TOBAGO, their is a couple from Texas who is relocating for work also. This process will give you some insights on the area where you will be living , they are also interested in buying a boat also .

phila usa
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Port of Spain

Hi Beth z ! Ginger3556 is right on point. Have you been to Trinidad before? Youtube has video clips on HOUSE HUNTERS INTERNATIONAL TRINIDAD&TOBAGO, their is a couple from Texas who is relocating for work also. This process will give you some insights on the area where you will be living , they are also interested in buying a boat also .

9. Re: Moving to Port of Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2013, 10:17