We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay???

Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Where to Stay???

So, I'm planning a solo trip, I'm a woman and I have good instincts! I want to spend tons of time hiking in the rain forrest and snorkeling in the ocean. Not to keen on lots of folks and the general tourist stuff, I like to keep it real! I would also like a guide while I'm there because I will only have a few days and exploring can take up a lot of day light hours! Any suggestions???

T.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay???

http://www.asawright.org/

The Asa Wright nature centre is a nice place to visit and it has hiking trails and guide. You can even stay in it hotel.

For snorkling the best place is Tobago. Any of the hotel there can recommend local boat operators to snorkel in bucco reef. There are also a number of dive shops especially on the north coast of tobago.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay???

Shez-you should probably do Tobago and in the north part of the island. Perhaps Speyside or Charlottesville or Castara. Check with the Tobago Tourist Board or go to www.mytobago.com for some ideas. My Tobago is a great website with very honest opinions.

There are TONS of places to stay and people to guide you. I did a hike last time that took the whole day, but was totally worth it as at the end was a beautiful waterfall(No, not Argyle or the other one that tourists frequent!!) The only reason we found it was because an old local man (friend of the family) told us about it. There are numerous tourguides that will take you to spots like this privately. Also, don't waste your time diving/snorkelling on Bucco Reef. It's dead from all the traffic. Do Speyside or further up. In Speyside you should try the Blue Waters Inn.(or one close to it). Right on the ocean, close to dock for tours etc and the swimming/beach and snorkelling is great.Owners can set you up. In conclusion...TONS of nature stuff to do in Tobago! cheers

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay???

PS-Crown Point area is the most touristy area on the island....and even that's not bad. Not like other caribbean destinations.

Locals are great. One thing....travelling alone...be aware. It's not too bad yet, but definately is changing. At one time, you could leave your bags/shoes etc on the beach and go walk/swim....no proble. Now, you take a chance. Not as bad as other places tho!