We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trinidad - Port of Spain.

Which Port of Spain hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trinidad - Port of Spain.

My wife and I are holiday-ing in Tobago later this year but wanted to stay for a couple of days in Trinidad too.

The Hyatt Regency keeps coming up as the best hotel and we're thinking of booking there.

Can anyone tell us about the area? Is there plently to see and do within walking distance; dining, shopping, site seeing?

Also, is it a safe area to walk around at night - we've read mixed reports on the safety of POS.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trinidad - Port of Spain.

From that hotel you can walk to the main local shopping area but I wouldn't walk around at night. Are you planning to do any tours?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trinidad - Port of Spain.

Thanks

I've not organised any tours as yet - are there any you'd recommend?

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trinidad - Port of Spain.

I would not go walking around there at night.

You cross the road and end up in the City. I've never actually went shopping in POS so can't say about the shopping, am more of a Mall or Online shopper. But what sort of shopping would you like to do?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,392 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trinidad - Port of Spain.

Probably a little nicer area for a hotel would be the Kapok in the Maraval area. You can walk around the Savannah and admire the 7 colonial style buildings that are known as the Maginificent Seven, or to the Ellerslie Plaza with shops and restaurants, but, again not at night unless you're in a group of about 6 or more adults.

There is another hotel, a Marriott I think, that is a block from one of the Malls ... I forget the name of the Mall now but it is a very nice mall that is as modern as any in the USA. Maybe Poison will know the name.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trinidad - Port of Spain.

Hi

Thanks for your reply

No particular shopping in mind. we're staying in Tobago prior to this and just fancied a couple of days in Trinidad before flying home. So I guess it'll be a bit of souvenir shopping (local crafts and stuff) by day and restaurants by night. Sounds like we should get a taxi in the evenings from what everyone has said.

Is it really that bad in POS?

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trinidad - Port of Spain.

It is the Marriott very near Movie Towne. I stayed there earlier this month. Can walk to MT. It's not near anything else though. A short drive to St.James and Ariapita Avenue.

Downtown POS is basically Govt offices and other offices and business places. It's crowded during day and empty at night. The further East you go it's not safe.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trinidad - Port of Spain.

The Hyatt will be fine. From there you can take a taxi to Movie Towne in the evening. Or if you stay at the Marriott you can walk across to Movie Towne or taxi to West Mall about 7mins away.

8. Re: Trinidad - Port of Spain.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Port of Spain