We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tobago in September - advice please!!!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tobago in September - advice please!!!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me a description of the day to day weather in previous septembers on Tobago? I understand its the rainy season but would like to know if it is sunny until the showers come in OR is there quite a lot of days where you would expect it to be grey?

Im only concerned as I am getting married there and want to try to get a nice day for it, also my fiancee would probably be uspet if she didnt come home with a tan! Any advice would be greatly appreciated even if the advice is to re-book!

Many thanks!

YYC
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tobago in September - advice please!!!

In the summer and fall the island usually gets more rain. I visit quite often during these months and find generally the rain can be quite heavy for usually a short period then it clears up. I have never had a day where it rained constantly,but I am sure there are days like that. It is not uncommon to have several short rainfalls during the day with sunny periods in between.

Tobago
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tobago in September - advice please!!!

The rainy season (and hurricane season) is from June 1st to December the 1st, the dry season is the rest of the year. It can also be (or feel)hotter because of greater humidity. In Tobago we get two types of rain. The oceanic squalls that pass by for 20-30 minutes which are more prevelent in the rainy season and then folowed by sunshine, but in the rainy season we also get the ITCZ (inter tropical convergence zone)which is when the equatorial rain belt comes northwards from south America. When both of these types of rain combine it can seem wet and rainy all day and the temperature can drop to about 27 degrees centigrade!

In August the "petit careme" is a dryer spell in the middle of the rainy season this can drag on into september making the weather often mostly sunny.

It might be worth noting the height of the caribbean hurricane season is september and october when the sea is at its warmest. Although Tobago is very near to the southernmost part of this zone. Our last hurricane here "Flora" and it was in september 1963!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tobago in September - advice please!!!

It's hot. Might be sun...with a few clouds and spurts..never long..congrats

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tobago in September - advice please!!!

I was there for the month of September last year. It was amazing weather. Very little rain. There were thunderstorms off the coast sometimes and it would rain a bit in the afternoon every once in a while but I don't think I ever got stuck anywhere for more then a half hour. It was very hot and humid most days but thats to be expected in the tropics. I will be back this September hopefully.

Good luck.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tobago in September - advice please!!!

We were in Tobago a few years back for 5 days in the beginning of Sept. Sorry to say, it rained most of the time and cloudy the rest. Sun came out on the day we were leaving! Hope its better for you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tobago in September - advice please!!!

No one can predict the weather more than a few days ahead (and that's iffy). It's either hot and dry or hot and wet in Tobago.....I actually prefer the rainy season as its usually a mixture of sun and rain.....not usually all rain. That way things are lushish and green and growing. Dry season can be very brown and dusty....I've seen no green grass and no flowers a few times there during dry season.

Also the Dry/Rainy seasons change constantly especially now with global warming. I've seen September both sunny with spurts of showers and i've seen it fairly dry.

7. Re: Tobago in September - advice please!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations