We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

celebrity summit adds tobago to the itinerary-suggestions?

stoughton,ma
Level Contributor
255 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
celebrity summit adds tobago to the itinerary-suggestions?

we just found out that celebrity summit is changing 2 of the stops from aruba and bonaire to barbados and tobago. personally i am delighted with the change. however, it has left a hole in our plans as we already had decided on our own excursions on bonaire and were going to beach it in aruba. we are experienced in barbados and will probably go to accura beach there for the day, but that leaves tobago. we were there years ago and went to pigeon point. there is little on line regarding tours so i was hoping there would be more that past user's of these tours could offer.

are there unspoiled beaches where there is decent snorkeling from shore?

thanks,

steve

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: celebrity summit adds tobago to the itinerary-suggestions?

The cruiseline and on-shore tour operators will probably sell "island tours" which would not necessarily give you much time to relax and do activities such as snorkelling along the way. I would suggest you consider hiring a reputable taxi driver for the day, who can give you a tour AND time to spend in places where you most want it.

You could try any ot the following (VERY reliable):

Sam (868) 757 4733

Jackie (868) 716 2667

Lester (868) 685 3215

A good beach for snorkelling from shore is Arnos Vale. It is a small bay with a hotel, but the beach is public and usually very quiet. It would be about 30 mins drive from the port in Scarborough

stoughton,ma
Level Contributor
255 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: celebrity summit adds tobago to the itinerary-suggestions?

thank you for this info.

i contacted alibaba tours. for a full day they quoted $320 for the four of us ($80/pp).it is really only a car with a driver for the tour called "beaches,beaches,beaches". do you have any idea what it would cost to hire a cab and driver for the day. do any of these other driver's have a web site or e-mail or is phoning the only way to reach them.

steve

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,341 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: celebrity summit adds tobago to the itinerary-suggestions?

When we were in Tobago a couple of years ago we stopped at Englishman's Bay. I have not idea how far, or close, this will be to the cruise dock but it was a gorgeous, isolated beach. Well worth considering if you can figure out how to get there.

stoughton,ma
Level Contributor
255 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: celebrity summit adds tobago to the itinerary-suggestions?

to tobago4real:

thank you for your sources. i was unable to get a response from sam. however, i did reach lester. he was very upbeat and positive about giving us a tour. his price was reasonable and we have made arrangements with him.

steve

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: celebrity summit adds tobago to the itinerary-suggestions?

Great... I'm sure you'll have a good time. Enjoy!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: celebrity summit adds tobago to the itinerary-suggestions?

Can anyone advise how much the recommended drivers, Sam, jackie, or Lester, charge for a day tour? Thanks

Level Contributor
462 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: celebrity summit adds tobago to the itinerary-suggestions?

Steve,

We just returned from Tobago. We took an excursion on a catamaran that we highly recommend. Island Girl is the name and they do have a web site. It was our 5th or 6th time on this sailboat. There are 2 snorkel stops and the captain, Donnie, does not skimp on the drinks or lunch.

There's another large excursion boat called Tobago Princess that does a day snorkel trip. It's a 2 story boat with indoor seating on the 1st floor and an open top floor. We did not do this, but we heard it was a nice trip. The Tobago Princ.'s US captain also does sunset cruises which we were scheduled for but unfortunately were rained out.

We also went to the Arnos Vale Resort where there is a private beach where you can snorkel and swim for a small day fee if you are not staying there. We stayed for afternoon tea when many, many birds came waiting to be fed. Our driver, Abraham, is a taxi driver and he also does private island tours, whatever you would want to do. He's a bit difficult to understand, but he sure knows Tobago and all the things there are to do.

The beaches in Tobago are nice, but not like those in Aruba and some of the other islands or Mexico. That's why we did the catamarin sail. A wonderful way to spend the day on and in the water. Many recommend Pigeon Point for a nice beach day, but we were so busy doing nothing and enjoying the view at the beach of our resort that we never made it to Pigeon Pt.

When we were in Bonaire we did an awesome snorkeling/catamarin day trip. However as you're not going there, I won't elaborate. Barbados is a lovely island. Try and stop at a local rum shop. Some real local culture there. Nice people.

Any other questions let me know. We've been to Tobago 5 times in the past 4 years.

Tricia

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: celebrity summit adds tobago to the itinerary-suggestions?

Thanks so much for the info. I hve contacted the Island Girl and they are not currently planning on going out the day we are in port. I have just contacted Tobago Princess yesterday so the feedback was great.

Arnos Vale sounds really neat. Is it far from Scarsborough? Do you think I would have any problems with return transportation to the ship? Your driver also sounded interesting. How did you contact him. Any idea what a tour of part of island would cost?

We are also taking a catamaran cruise in Barbados on ElTigre, but I will be sure to check out the rum shacks! We were initally planning on taking a tour with Glory Tours and then snorkeling. However, it sounds like Glory Tours has had quite a few billing issues with customers lately so I steared away. any feedback on the catamaran cruise in Barbados vs hanging out at Payne's Beach?

9. Re: celebrity summit adds tobago to the itinerary-suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Tobago