We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Share a Boat tour.

Westcliff-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
185 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Share a Boat tour.

Looking for people to share a boat tour.

We have always enjoyed snorkelling/boat trips when visiting the Caribbean Islands, but the big Party Cat trips can get a bit crowded.

Therefore, is anybody interested in sharing a day boat charter up the Caribbean coast of Tobago, on either Tuesday20th or Wed 21st October 2009, looking to go further a field, and visit the less busy and hard to get to beaches at the top of the island.

(see my boat tour review of St Lucia , for type of thing )

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Share a Boat tour.

I doubt you will find most charters/day snorkelling/catamaran trips that crowded especially in October. Tobago's tourism trade is down this year with global financial problems and negative comments about the island. Also, it's not hard to organize a personal day trip with local captains but would doubt you would have to go that route. Our last visit we used Island Girl Catamaran(Mystic as well) and it was far from crowded....and that was at peak season. If you want to charter a pirangue type boat to head up to your own chosen destinations...just ask around....everyone knows someone who has a boat for hire! Hope you have a great time on this beautiful little island.

Westcliff-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
185 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Share a Boat tour.

Hi Littlered.

The tours seem to only go as far as Castra, and I wanted to go further up the coast, and therefore was looking to charter one of the power-boats for the day, rather than just a morning, and am looking to share the cost, and the experience.

We have done these arrangements through TripAdvisor before, and it's worked really well, so just trying to repeat the experience.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Share a Boat tour.

yes, you are right...most just go to Castara and slightly just north of there. Most are full day cruises. However, we chartered a fellow for a day trip...will try to retrieve his name......it was a pirogue type boat with a canopy. As a point of interest, we also hired Dillion (from Dillions Restaurant) to do a day of fishing up the coast and then into the channel between the two islands. I will try to get some names and numbers for what you want. It's not hard by any means to arrange/charter a boat on Tobago!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Share a Boat tour.

http://www.mytobago.info/sailing01.php

Try the above link.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Share a Boat tour.

I realize you are looking for people to go with you...I feel you will have to wait til you reach Tobago.

Westcliff-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
185 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Share a Boat tour.

Your right, your link has given me a few leads, and I am looking at the "zoe" as the type of craft I'm looking at.

Just interested in find a couple of other people to share the trip with.

We may have to wait until we get to Tobago to see if anyone in the hotel (Bacolet Beach Club) is interested, but have been very successful before in linking up with other TA contributors, so thought I would just see if anyone was interested.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Share a Boat tour.

Have you posted anything on the MyTobago website forum? We use this website alot when planning our trips there. There are an awful lot of people use the site that visit Tobago frequently so you may have some luck there.

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Share a Boat tour.

Not to rain on your parade, but you might want to bear in mind that October is right in the season when we tend to get heavy sea swells. Even in a relatively comfortable boat, the trip all the way up the caribbean coastline can be suprisingly rough - particularly when you pass Castara / Englishman's Bay area... hence why many of the boat tours go there and no further.

You may want to be as flexible as possible with your dates for the day trip with this in mind and be sure to liaise with the boat operator regarding the swell forcasts. You may also want to consider carefully the type of boat you are choosing - a small boat (20 feet or so) may not be the safest choice in heavy seas.

Level Contributor
201 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Share a Boat tour.

I was just about to comment as Tobago4real did: please be very careful boating beyond Castara. Even with experienced captians, that coast can be extremely difficult to navigate, and if u r tossed over in that area, there's really no place to swim to, and no one to race out to your rescue. We have had some very thrilling coastal rides, but with experienced guides, and I'd say from my experience, that's the only safe way to go. These guys for the most part, know every little rock and eddy, and this can be vital in extremely rough seas. We heard from locals that the sea claims a certain( small) number of "daring" folk each year, so please just use caution and good judgement. The guides will take you pretty much anywhere safe: but as Tobago4 real has said, if they don't go beyond certain areas, there's a very good reason for that.These guys dare just about anything, but wouldn't risk your lives.

Westcliff-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
185 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Share a Boat tour.

Thanks for your comments Guys, and agree that you always need to use the local guides when going somewhere new.

I've booked with the boat Zoe, and are looking to leave Pigeon Point at 9 returning at 3ish.

As always these things are dependent on the weather, so we shall go with the flow on the day, but Cpt. Peter advises that all things be equal it will be possible to get as far up the coast as Pirate's Bay, visiting several other locations there and back, at a cost of around US$100 a head, which when compared to the other half day power boat tours, seems very reasonable.

So looking for a couple of typical "Trip Advisor" type people to share the fun and experience.

Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations