We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to pigeon point beach

Streamwood, IL
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to pigeon point beach

I will be cruising to Tobago just after the new year. I am interested in going to pigeon point beach. I have no problem paying the fee to use facilities, but the cruiseline is offering this as an excursion for $42 pp. Seems kind of steep to me....even for a cruise sponsored excursion...unless they are offering something that isn't normally included in the entrance fee. Is their a way I can get their from the pier and the $6TT once I get there. Would it be safe?

UK
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to pigeon point beach

Yes, it is safe to leave the terminal and walk (literally) a few yards to the front of the building then turn right and walk another few yards along the footpath to an official taxi rank. Ensure you agree a fare with a licensed and insured taxi driver whose vehicle registration will begin with H and ensure that the price quoted is TT$ or US$. Don't pay the return part until you are collected at the end of your day. Note: drivers must have the official government set rate chart which you can ask to see. Don't walk around town dripping with diamonds and gold or mega-cameras/laptops and you will be fine - and you will save money by ignoring the cruise tour offer

Streamwood, IL
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to pigeon point beach

Thank-you...the information about how to identify a legitimate taxi driver is helpful. What do you think the cost will be from the pier? I am assuming we can pay the entrance fee at the resort (I can't imagine having to buy a ticket in advance or anything). Any other advice?

New York
Level Contributor
110 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to pigeon point beach

I just got back from Tobago and spent two days on Pigeon Point beach. There is an 18TT daily beach access fee (18 TT = 3 USD) to be aware of.

I recall that licensed taxi drivers have license plates all beginning with an H (stands for 'Hire'). There is an illegimate but frequent service for non-licensed drivers to offer taxi services. Locals refer to these as the "PH" taxis (Private Hires) and there is no way to discern them other than they pull over on the side of the road to offer you a lift. These are unlicensed, illegal taxi services so utilize them at your own risk. I personally would never utilize their services.

"Maxi Taxi" is the name of one Tobago taxi service.

UK
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to pigeon point beach

Pay the entry fee at the gate, it is peanuts in international terms (government owned).

Not sure of the official rate from the Port to Pigeon Point/crown point area, but it will be cheap compared with first world taxis. Try googling for the official Tobago House of Assembly websites (including the division of tourism website) or check Mytobago . info to see if you can find the latest rate chart. It is likely to be in TT$ so divide by around 6 to estimate the US$ cost (pay in TT$, eg stop at an ATM en route, to avoid FX ripoffs as taxi drivers will try to change you at 5TT$ to the US$1).

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to pigeon point beach

The "P" taxis are perfectly safe. I take them whenever I'm in Tobago and and they are identifiable by their license plates. The drivers charge about 5 or 6TT dollars, depending on your destination. For example, it costs 6TT to go to the market in Scarborough. Usually they'll stop and pick up others along the way.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to pigeon point beach

No offense to Rumboogie, but i would use the H taxi's...thiings are not the same. Altho the price might be attractive......after many a year of using PH taxi's myself, i would now recommend regulated hires....especially if not accustomed to the locals (knowing who's who as some would). Spend the few extra dollars and be safe. The entrance fee to Pigeon Pt is minimal (pays for TP and such) and Pidgeon Pt has alot to offer...walk the premises and enjoy......a little shopping at the kiosks....food vendors....and the wonderful white sands....make sure to check out the little bar at the north end of the property....nice pina coladas and great staff. Enjoy. If you get totally bored....ask and take a short trip over to Store Bay and enjoy some excellent local food and do some shopping at the numerous small shops etc.....local ice cream is a must if you like ice cream!! However and unfortunately....Store Bay now has some persistant pests trying to sell daily trips to Buccoo reef...your choice....however a polite albeit firm No thank you should surfice. Nothing to worry about and please enjoy.

cheers

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to pigeon point beach

Hey Littlered...no offense taken

8. Re: Getting to pigeon point beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Tobago