We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank close to Tobago airport

Europe
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Bank close to Tobago airport

Is there any bank close to the Tobago airport that has normal rates for changing Euros into TTDs?. I don't want to get less value for my money just because I change it at the airport. Any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,881 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank close to Tobago airport

Changing currency is expensive and a hassle. Do you have a debit card with which to draw TT$ directly from an ATM?

Europe
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank close to Tobago airport

Yes I do, but I just wanted to take some cash too in case the card won't work and I wanted to change that money right away.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
816 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank close to Tobago airport

There is a bank right in the airport compound. As you come out of arrivals it is directly across the street in the little mall area. Better than going to banks in Scarborough as the lines are long and very slow. Hopefully you arrive at a proper time so the bank is open. I agree with previous poster....most debit cards work in their atm's. Much more convenient and you get the proper exchange rate. There is also a ATM right in the bank, so you can 'test' out your card first. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bank close to Tobago airport

Thank you!

So it could happen that my card won't work?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,881 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bank close to Tobago airport

In all probability, it will work. You do have to have a four-digit PIN. Some card companies are extra cautious and will block the card when they see a charge in a foreign country, so letting your bank know where you'll be might be a good idea.

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bank close to Tobago airport

never mind "good idea" - it is ESSENTIAL that you alert your bank that you will be traveling, and to what country. Otherwise it is not just 'possible' - but probable - that the security department will put a block on the card when they see it being used in a foreign country. Most banks are doing this nowadays - so anytime you leave the country, setting up travel alerts on all the debit & credit cards you plan to use, is a must. I find that withdrawing at foreign ATM's is the best and easiest method, no waiting in long bank lines, no searching to find a cambio (and again waiting in line), and no worries about the exchange rates, as you get the official daily rate when using an ATM.

However, your bank may assess a fee for "foreign ATM' usage - might also be a good idea to ask what that fee will be, at the same time you're alerting them to your travel plans; then withdraw as much as you can at one time instead of doing multiple small w/d's

Edited: 15 September 2010, 15:59
Europe
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bank close to Tobago airport

Thanks everybody for their help. It worked fine with the ATM machine!

8. Re: Bank close to Tobago airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 04:17