We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to rent a Villa, but will only accept wire transfer

Lodi, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking to rent a Villa, but will only accept wire transfer

I have found the perfect villa for a second honeymoon but they only do wire transfers and do not use credit cards. This is bothering me. Has anyone else done this before? Was it legitimate?

hollywood, f
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to rent a Villa, but will only accept wire transfer

I just ran into the same issue booking my villa, They do wire transfer & don't accept credit cards..This sounds like thats how they do it there.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking to rent a Villa, but will only accept wire transfer

A lot of places in SA do not accept credit cards as the fees to do so are so high. Wire transfers are very common as a result. Please research your villa for good feedback on different forums, and if it gets high marks, you can probably trust it.

Denbigh, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to rent a Villa, but will only accept wire transfer

Hi 13Moonbeams

I have a rental villa in Tobago and as private owners we aren't set up to take payments from credit cards. That is likely to be the reason that the person you are dealing with can't accommodate your request, so don't be too put off.

I agree with the recommendation to check out their reviews on websites like this or MyTobago.info

An alternative might be to consider setting up a PayPal account. We have many customers that pay us via PayPal. It take a week or so to set up an account, but then you can make a booking with a credit card for peace of mind (and PayPal protection too). The thing to note is that your villa owner may need to take a surcharge to cover the charges that they will incur to accept your payment - but it is peanuts compared to the risk of booking with someone unscrupulous!

Lodi, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to rent a Villa, but will only accept wire transfer

Thank you for your reply. This helps. I feel more comfortable with it. I do want to stay at the villa we are looking for.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking to rent a Villa, but will only accept wire transfer

State the name of the villa so other readers, if they have stayed there, can give their impressions of it and their experience dealing with the rental process.

Lodi, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking to rent a Villa, but will only accept wire transfer

Thank you for your reply

It is located in the English/Bloody bay area; Marbago.

Managed by: Marta and Alan Figel (owner)

Has anyone stayed there before?

Thank you all for the feedback

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking to rent a Villa, but will only accept wire transfer

In case you haven't found it yet (it didn't come up on a TA search but did on a Google search even though it is a TA review) here are two reviews this year on Marbago:

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g147392…

Lodi, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking to rent a Villa, but will only accept wire transfer

I did read them that is why I reserved the villa and then found out it was a wire transfer. This just through me off. After my husband & I talked about it I think we are going to still go through with it. Leap of faith

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
494 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking to rent a Villa, but will only accept wire transfer

It is very easy for owners to set up a Paypal account rather than subject people to this worry. You pay by credit card and then have some come back in the event of failure on the part of the owner to 'deliver the goods!' Most people who stay with us prefer to do it this way.........Suggest Paypal to the owners of the place you are going to .......

Chris a villa owner in Castara just down the coast

Niantic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking to rent a Villa, but will only accept wire transfer

We are also renting a villa in Stonehaven Bay area -not the Stonehaven Villas but one of three on the hillside over the beach. We have heard some things about safety when renting a villa. We are going this Sunday, Dec. 26th, and would like some reassurance and advice.

Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations