We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best to book all-inclusive?

Wellington, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Best to book all-inclusive?

Hi. My partner and I are flying out to Tobago next year for a wedding. The bride and groom will be staying at CocoReef and have booked all-inclusive. Whilst it looks amazing, it's probably a bit more than we would ideally like to pay. Having never been to Tobago before I have a few Q's:

- Is it better to book all-inclusive with a resort or it is worth while getting room/breakfast only and eating out?

- Any recommendations of other resorts that are more affordable but close to Coco Reef would be appreciated

- I have travelled quite extensively (Africa, South America, Asia) but after reading a few posts on this forum was wondering how unsafe Tobago really is compared to other places?

Cheers

trinidad
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best to book all-inclusive?

Have you checked out Tropikist hotel, near to the airport and closer to your friends at Coco Reef and as far as tobago is concerned dont go to poorly lighted places walking, and keep valuables safe and locked away when at the hotel. same for the streets and elswhere as other countries. Try to blend in.

Vancouver B.C.
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best to book all-inclusive?

I just got back from a two week trip around Trinidad and Tobago and never felt unsafe once. ( We were two women travelling alone, myself and my mother) I found the locals to be friendly, kind, helpful and that many went out of their way to tell us stories and about local customs and to show us where to find things. Yes there is crime there (especially in Port of Spain), but if you use common sense and don't flash around expensive jewellry, equipment etc. and don't go to unadvised areas at night you will likely not enounter any problems. Overall we had a wonderful trip and loved interacting with everyone we met.

As far as a cheaper place to stay - Tobago is not a "budget" destination per say, but there are lots of small apartment style b and b"s and hotels very near the Coco Reef in the Crowne Point area, which is really quite small - it is all about the beaches there.

We stayed in one called Douglas Apartments and it was maybe three blocks from the beach and four from coco reeef, it had a pool and a kitchen and AC. The apartment was nothing special, but was clean, reasonable and a good location. There are a few little mini mart shops where you can buy food and lots of little eateries near by. You can even get fish BBQ'd for you right on the beach just in front of pigeon point park. There is a great eatery on the way to the park. Not sure of your budget - but I think we paid $80 US per night for douglas apartments and Coco reef starts at about $300 per night..so yes a big difference. www.douglastobago.com This will give you an idea of what else is nearby at least. I went post carnival so accomodations were at a bit of a premium for our whole trip, so you might find many others for less at www.mytobago.info/accommodation.php

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best to book all-inclusive?

Try this place: http://www.johnstonapartments.com/

We stayed there last November. It overlooks Store Bay but you have to be able to swim if you want to go more than a few yards into the water. And you can see Coco Reef from there - it's on the other side of Store Bay.

There are several small kiosks selling souvenirs and local food right between Johnstons and Coco Reef. And you can walk from the airport to Johnstons - but we didn't hear any planes taking off or landing. It's not a busy airport.

Denbigh, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best to book all-inclusive?

I wouldn't book all inclusive, but simply because if you are going to explore the island and make the most of your stay, you just won't get bang for your buck on your all inclusive. It's nice to eat out, sample some of the local places....but hard to do that if it means you are missing your already paid for meals at the resort!!

I've been to Tobago regularly since 03 and own a property over there. If you aren't looking to rent a villa in somewhere like Crown Point/Bon Accord (both areas are walking distance to Coco Reef) then somewhere like the Douglas or Johnson appts are a good alternative. Rental villas can be pretty competitive value, but probably only do-able on a tight budget if you are sharing with other friends.

The security issue is often hyped up. I've never had any trouble and the standard advice applies. Don't take risks, don't flash jewellery or cash etc. People are lovely in Tobago and will be keen to ensure your stay is memorable. Don't confuse the island with Trinidad - a completely different kettle of fish!

5. Re: Best to book all-inclusive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Tobago