We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing by taxi or car

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing by taxi or car

Can anybody recommend a reliable taxi driver that we could hire for the day to take us round the whole Island and show us all the sights. I am trying to ascertain whether it is better to hire a car ourselves and follow a good map or take a taxi with a good local driver!!! I do not want to join an organised tour from the hotel!

Bridge City, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing by taxi or car

Funny you should ask, I was going thru my wallet today & found a business card for a taxi driver. His name is Andy (868) 763-4107. I was there in Tobago last Feb. for a few days. He's knows the Island & the people. Most taxi drivers has a business card & ALL the drivers has a cellphone. A word of advice while some drives will be almost a tour, others will be dropping you off and be pickup later. Such as restuarants, beachs, shopping, etc. It's good idea to work with whatever driver you use and give him a time frame to be pickup. And call when there is a change.

Good Luck

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing by taxi or car

Although i was born and grew up and drove in Trinidad,i dont drive when i visit,too many crazy drivers on the road,but when i go to Tobago i rent a car and drive all over.It's better to have a car when you need one,i pay $35.00US/day.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
240 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing by taxi or car

Hi madamcholet,

Tobago is fairly small, easy driving and difficult to get lost. However there are no detailed maps and not many proper road signs. If this sounds like an adventure to you then renting a car and doing it yourself is the way to go. Also, be forewarned there are only a couple gas station in Tobago and they seem to have irregular working hours so be sure to check your fuel gauge before taking off!

If this sounds like too much of a hassle, then go with a taxi tour guide. Sorry I don't have any names/numbers. I'll ask around and post if I get the names of any reliable people.

Hope this helps.

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing by taxi or car

By the Rex Turtle Beach hotel is a taxi office.Ask for a senior lady by the name of Edris.Shes just great,knows everything and everyone.We ask for her each time we go and she drove us around when we were married in Tobago a feew years back.Shes who you need !!

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing by taxi or car

Thanks for all your help with this folks. I feel that I want to take a taxi and guide as I want to know what to see and a bit of history en route! I will look for a good taxi driver!

Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing by taxi or car

Hi Madamcholet

I would recommend the services of Frankie Tours - you could hire a personalised driver for the day or join in on an island tour in a minbus - I've done both with Frankie Tours.Reasonable cost and knowledgeable guide/driver.

Telephone contact is: 681 3717 (for Frankie himself) or 639 4527 (the office)

Hope you enjoy Tobago!

Level Contributor
201 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sightseeing by taxi or car

I second this suggestion ; a guide is the best by far, and Frankie Tours has excellent, friendly, very knowledgable guides who make the day a delight. You'll learn a great deal from them, from history to bird sightings, to seeing an old alligator in a riverbed,to gwetting a good, reasonable meal(treat the guide, too) and on and on. We have had Darlington Chance several times, and he is great. It's much safer with a guide. The mountain roads are very twisting and winding, and If you break down, run out of gas, get lost, who do you call to help??? FRankie Tours is so efficient and well-known all over the island. Do not forget a tip for the guide; they depend on this for their living and will be grateful forever!! Have a great trip. Novie

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sightseeing by taxi or car

I have contacted Frankie Tours as suggested and they are offering a tour for US90.00 per person. Is this about right or am I gonna do better by getting an experienced/Knowledgable

taxi driver? There will be two of us !

Level Contributor
201 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sightseeing by taxi or car

FRankie has about the most experienced drivers you can find . His trips ususlly include a stop for lunch, so ask him if this price also includes your meal. If so, the $90.00 is reasonable. If no, explain you are 2 and on a budget, and he may do a bit better for you than $90.00. Our day trip included a very nice lunch at Jemma's Treehouse in Speyside, and in off season we paid about $70.00 US each, but we were a large party, as well. However, everything is going to be top price this time of the year, but I will tell you from our experience no one tries to rip you off inTobago; they seem to have an innate pride in doing their very best for you and in being honest. We have never had a bad experience at all. Novie

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sightseeing by taxi or car

Most of the taxi drivers are wonderful. I personally can recommend Leroy. When you come out of the airport, just ask for Leroy..he is honest and a wonderful man...and the godfather to my firstborn. Tell him "Dandu's" wife recommended him! You will be in good hands.

Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations