We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

additional resort recommendation

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
additional resort recommendation

I will be staying at Coco Reef in August and would like to extend my stay in the same area or close by in a 4-5 star resort. Please give some you have personally experienced and Would recommend Thx.

UK
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: additional resort recommendation

Do not confuse Tobago with a "posh" island like Barbados - the resorts are very simple. Even Coco Reef, which claims 4 or 5* status, is only really a 3* by most international standards.

There are no other "posh" resorts close to Coco Reef. There are a couple over in Bacolet which also claim to be 4* but again, in reality they are not even close.

Go to Tobago for a relaxing vacation in simple, undeveloped surroundings and stay in a hotel with basic luxuries (eg aircon, pool, security, food) and you won't be disappointed. Expect to live the high life, and you will be sadly frustrated.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: additional resort recommendation

I have been around the world, and practically all the Caribbean Is., so I know there are few "posh" resorts, Grand Lido, now Breezes Grand, Couples Sans Souci, Sandals, etc., probably among the most "posh" but also know the resorts in other areas are not the same as our luxury Waldorf, The Plaza, South Africa The One and Only, you get the point. I will not expect the same in the Islands, but as I am not a newbie to international travel, I will find the most accommodating, and as long as they are clean, have good cuisine & service that is what I am looking for.

I know the ratings are not up to ours, and when they say 4-5* I am aware they are barely a 3*, as we Americans classify hotels/resorts, having been in the industry 33 years.

UK
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: additional resort recommendation

Phew, that's a relief, it is a good thing that you won't be expecting much and have experienced wide ranges. You are less likely to be upset - many americans hate the fact that they cannot get nice service in many Tobago places, or fast (or even normal speed) service, or that they cannot order what they want to eat and often cannot get fries - but instead have to eat what the restaurant or hotel has that day. Since you are widely travelled you will have been to laid back places and will be fine - Tobago is so laid back it makes Barbados feel like Singapore -it's fine for the "newlyweds and nearly deads", as they say in Trinidad.

Meanwhile, to answer your initial question again, there are no hotels even calling themselves 4 or 5* close to Coco Reef. There are some plush villa resorts a few miles up the coast - Villas at Stonehaven is very nice, for instance.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: additional resort recommendation

Great, I love laid back! You seem to be quite an experienced traveler yourself. I was in Barbados only once, it was ok, hoping for a more relaxing time in Tobago,, one of the few I have yet to visit. If you have any good pointers on Tobago, I would appreciate your input, where to eat, visit, I also love cruises, if you took any on catamaran or similar (sunset type), maybe you could recommend. I will also research on the net, I saw something on that yesterday have not had time to explore much, but my trip is in August, so I have time.

Thank you!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: additional resort recommendation

Hi, sorry for duplicates. What do you know about Conrado Beach Resort, i.e., food, ambience, is it worth checking out? Thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: additional resort recommendation

I have not lived on Tobago for 2 years now so am out of touch with restaurants a bit, but if you stay in the Crown or Pigeon Point area then Kariwak, La Cantina, Cafe Coco offer nice dinners at reasonable rates(recommended to stay down there if you do not wish to rent a car as you can walk around everywhere or use taxis).

Conrado is a beautifully located family run basic small hotel - the superior ocean view rooms are massive with your own elevated deck-patio area, nice and amazing 2002 value-rates. Don't expect luxury service but you will get laid back and personal intimate attention and smiles, plus you will get to meet all the local fisherfolk characters who shoot pool in the friendly hotel bar - some of those guys will take you on a fishing tour cheaply if you haggle. If the chef is on form the food is superb, but choice is limited and request anything special in advance. Cheap beer.

Most of the glass bottom trips are very samey but worth a go, the Tobago Princess catamaran trips are fun, run by a cocksure american owner (so not recommended if you wish to have a break from loud americans but cool if you can ignore/humour him!).

Track down the best taxi driver on Tobago for regular personal service and cheap day/island tours etc - ask for him when you arrive (he is called Beardy and now you know his name you will not miss him if he is on duty at the airport rank!). Booming voice and very polite and couteous with old world manners and honesty. Plus a large beard.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 19:50
Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: additional resort recommendation

Speaking of places to eat, if you want somewhere that could be considered "fine dining" look for a place called Me Shells.

This link has a list of a number of restaurants including Me Shells:

http://www.mytobago.info/restaurants02.php

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: additional resort recommendation

I heard today that the Me Shells restaurant has closed its doors - another victim of this worldwide economic downturn.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: additional resort recommendation

Thanks Chuts, good update. I was looking at the site you sent, so I'll mark that one off my list. Looking for places close to Coco Reef, I saw "Syps"and "Waving Gallery", as the satellite map shows, I believe they would be walking distance which I would do during daylight only, as a change from the hotel restaurant. If I am correct (if not, please set me straight), have you had any experience eating there? I am looking for local cuisine, something priced reasonable, but tasty, mainly seafood the locals prepare, spicy is fine.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: additional resort recommendation

I've not been to those two. But for local cuisine there are some food huts right at Store Bay. And just further down the road at the airport (which is probably only a couple hundred yards from Coco Reef) there are more eating places which serve local stuff. In fact when you exit the airport and cross the road you'll walk into the building with the eating places.

Get answers to your questions about Tobago