We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi fare

TORONTO
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
taxi fare

Does anyone know the approximate fare you would expect to pay in Tobago money for a cab from the Grafton to Scarborough.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi fare

Gosh...I feel like i'm stalking you Sandyford!! LOL.....The rates are usually posted in the hotels. Personally, I find the 'hotel' taxi rates are a little high..but affordable for tourists. You can take the hotel taxi drivers/and/or find a reliable taxi driver that will take care of you for your entire trip. Another option is to rent a car...it's NOT hard to drive around Tobago. The worst part of your journey will be the road into Scarborough (a few one-way streets-but not too bad). Taxi recommended perhaps for that day if leery. Otherwise, the southern part of the island (Pidgeon Pt, store bay, etc)is easy to drive. If you decide to go north...it's still easy...just use a little extra caution going north to Speyside and Charlottesville. WOuld recommend a driver just for the fact that you can both relax and enjoy the commentary!

Very zig-zag roads as it's mountainous....but very do-able if you are a experienced driver. Be aware that people use their horns as polite way of letting you know they are 'there'! In Canada....if youhonk your horn....the 'finger' usually follows...NOT SO in Tobago....they are just letting you know they are there! If you want, I can recommend a lady or man driver to take you around. You can arrive at your own price as they are very friendly and helpful. I personally find hotel drivers are a little more expensive, but very reliable.

TORONTO
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi fare

we were thinking about hiring a recommended driver for a week, just wanted to know approximately what they would expect.

You are not stalking me Ha, appreciate your answers.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi fare

Sorry, I really couldn't tell you info on prices as I always rent/borrow a car when i'm there. I know years ago when I first started going, one could usually make arrangements with one driver who would take you, drop you off and then arrange a time to pick you up. Also, if you wanted to do a 'day' trip around the island, you have to make arrangements directly with the driver. Some hotel drivers will give a set price, other drivers will give you a bargain on the side. Copy and paste the following address

http://mytobago.info/taxis02.php

This should give you a guideline to prices, but you can always haggle and make bargains. If you befriend a local (not hard!)...they will sometimes make you a sweet offer!

Don't know if I mentioned it, but the above address Igave is from MyTobago.com -It's a great site that will answer most of anyones' questions about Tobago. Very few things in the entire site that I disagree with-highly recommend taking a look. There is also a 'public car' system that people use...but wouldn't recommend it for first timers. It's very similar to hitchiking with a minimal fee of a couple/few dollars. You also have to know the cars and where they go....not recommended for you at this point. Good luck and hope the site helps you out. I think I gave you Leroy's number already?

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi fare

sandy,littlered is correct but i too got taken awhile back,i made the mistake and ask the first cabby at the airport how far the hotel was and he said i could not walk it and would cost $35.00TT,well...it happened to be a 3 minute drive max(10-15 mins walk).If i had walked out of the airport and flagged down a taxi,would have cost me $2.00TT,i only had a small carryon.I think $20.00US/day is more than enough for a driver,plus you have to put gas and buy him food,drinks etc.Look for a skinny guy thats attending AA classes and you could save some money.

TORONTO
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi fare

LOL, very good advice, thanks again for all

your input. Hubby wanted to know because he

knows cabbies can rip you off. Have a good trip.Stay cool.

Level Contributor
201 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi fare

Trini4life....that's hlarious! A skinny cabbie going to AA meetings! But you have a great point!! We paid for a cabbie for the day to go Speyside, and ended up buying both his meal and his son's, plus tipping both. We didn't really mind but we had not counted on it, either. Novie

TORONTO
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi fare

lilred, I printed that page you directed me to, very helpful and great web site. Thanks .

(by the way, I agree with you about loveall, she a little much) LOL.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi fare

Novie,you know how they think in the Caribbean,once you live abroad and can come down for vacation...you have a money tree in the back of your yard and all you have to do is go pick some whenever you need it.Thats one of the reason when i visit Trinidad i spend most of my time in Tobago where no one knows me.Last year we took down 4 checked suitcases,only one had our belongings and they were not satisfied,they still asked for cash,we took a suitcase for my wife's aunt filled with ham,turkey,chicken,clothes and goodies,well we still had to buy the rum,beer,cigarettes for the little get together that they had,i think that was the last visit for us.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi fare

Novie,you still got off easy,he could have brought his wife,cousins,nephews, nieces and his pets.I dont mind giving but when people try and take advantage is what pisses me off.Last year we took down to Punta Cana a lot of school supplies and candy for the kids thinking that one of the tours we went on,would stop off at a local school,but the guide said he dont stop because he dont want to disrupt the class,other guides stopped and we saw tourist handing out stuff,that really got to me and ended up giving it to the workers at the resort.I had a good laugh when i read the express on Monday.Manning said that at the end of 2006,the unemployment rate could be zero,he must have been on crack when he made that statement.

England
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi fare

Just a word of caution if you travel in any other car than a "H" reg car, your travel insurance will not be valid, nor life insurance in the case of an accident. Insurance companies will not pay out for claims that happen to people travelling in "P" reg cars in the case of an accident, they are aware of route taxis, and it will be up to you to prove that you know this person as a relative or friend and unless very genuine this is extremely difficult to prove.

It is far better to pay for a properly insured H car than take the risk on Tobago roads, where accidents are frequent.

Dont mean to put a spoiler on things but in the case of a broken leg it could cost you thousands.

Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations