We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Heat

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
The Heat

Hi,

I'm off to Castara Retreats next month with my husband and can't wait. I just wondered though that as Castara Retreats doesn't have air conditioning, are you able to sleep okay with the heat?

Also was wondering how much money would you recommend to take for spends? I imagine it pretty cheap to eat there.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Heat

Hope I don't sound rude, but it all depends on how you handle heat?!! Castara is more or less in the 'rain forest' edge of things. Beautiful! Good choice for peace and quiet and nature. Personally, (from Canada-so love the heat!), I find just a fan okay!. If you are inland (IE:Scarbourough) for the day...it's hot! Roll down the windows in the car!! If you are close to the beach (especially west side of island) you get a nice breeze constantly...or upland...higher altitude. It all depends on how you handle the heat. UK?...probalby will love it! Bring some mosquito deet if you are prone for nights. You can buy some 'bug mats', but most guesthouses have them. I never get bit by them,but my kids do. I spray regularly to keep them from scratching. (Avon-Skin So Soft is great!) I don't find the heat a problem...but everyone is different. Remember, you are only 11 degrees off the Equator!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Heat

If you like the quieter side of life, you are in a good area.Nature/quiet etc... If you want to 'pick up' things for a night or two...(not that it's WILD?!!)....look into doing a night or two down in Store Bay or Pidgeon Point area. Wed. night check out Golden Star/Micheal Baker Talent Show...fun.. Check out Jimmy's, Sandy's(good economy etc)to stay at.. You can find guesthouses to rent ANYWHERE. Don't be afraid to 'lime' or fratenize with the locals...they are the best people in the world. (read other forums). Hospitality at it's best in Tobago!!!! Everywhere you go in Tobago is great.....just use commom sense, don't be taken in by 'scammer' guides. Use taxi drivers recommended by your hosts etc. Once you get to know the island...you can do lots ...very easily. If you want me to recommend a driver...let me know...I will recommend no problem.If you have the time, take in a drive up to the north...ie: Speyside and Charlottesville with a driver.... if you don't like driving 'mountain' roads. So much to do.....and see...just do it and have fun...don't worry...you'll be fine and have fun!! Good taxi driver is Leroy....as you get off the plane, ask for him as you go out the door at the airport....tell him Cathy (Dandu's wife) sent you...Great guy and godfather!! If you want more info...let me know...

xxfrom Canada

Level Contributor
204 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Heat

Oh Zinc! I am a senior Canadian who has visited Tobago about 5 times now, and Castara is absolutely wonderful! Changing far too rapidly, with new resorts and private homes going up all the time, but in general it's a fabulous typical Tobago fishing village. Sunsets there are magnificent! I envy your trip.Local families very hospitable and kind.

If you buy local fruits and fish and visit a bakery for breads and sweets, you can exist very cheaply. We ate out in several really nice spots in Store Bay for about $25.00 U.S each, without drinks. Local beers are cheap, at about $4.00-$6.00 Trinidadian, or $2-3.00 Ca.in the little street bars and rum shops, but if you go to Blue Waters and Hilton (we did,just in passing!) expect to pay 3 times that.For exactly the same beer! Food the same... can get wonderful local fare prepared in meticulous kitchens for $20.00 TT down in Store Bay and probably rght there at Castara , too. But go over to Mt. Irvine and the price climbs immediately. Buy your beers by the case.... $130.00TT or $30.00 US, for the most economical purchase. TAke back all your empties and it's cheaper next time. And any grocery has beer, rum, all the necessities!

At Store Bay we most nights turned on the air conditioning about one hour before bed, in Dec., and did not need it through the night. Think I did use it maybe twice over 2 weeks. Just pull your drapes or blinds in the daytime... I bet you'll be fine. Do take some of the great tours you've read about in this forum. Coastal Cruise is wonderful, and a land tour with someone like Frankie's Tours is perfect for seeing most of the island an getting to know more than your hotel/motel/ apt. His office is right over at Mt. Irvine (golf course and beach there, too) and his tours leave from there. Good snorkling at Mt. Irvine, right off the beach. Do not need to go out by boat. Pick a calm day, however. I got tossed and picked by coral the aft. I went.Can be dangerous. I know you will fall in love with Castara.One of my most fav. spots. Have a blast!!! Novie, Canada

Level Contributor
204 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Heat

Meant to say also that most beaches charge for the use of their beach chairs, $20.00TT or $4.00 US. Do not be angered by this... most people on Tobago have only the tourist industry to provide a living. And really it's not a lot.Also the umbrellas are a Godsend thse firsy few days when the ehat gets really high. As far as I know only Pigeon Point charges an admission to the beach, and that again is minimal. We tipped generously because it seemed the right thing to do, and these people were all so helpful and kind and friendly we wanted to. They do not bug you to buy their wares, or use their chairs, etc., but if you do, they never forget your face! You will hear someone softly calling "Good day, Miss...." and there is the gentleman that sold you beads last week at another location! And he'll remember exactly the place and time! We bought coconuts from an elderly vendor several times, and he was always waving to us from across the street but never pressured us or hinted to us to buy more. JUst made us his friends. They are by far the lovliest people ou could meet. on't be afrqid to say "good Morning" or "good night" and be curteou thanking them for services and products, etc. This means a great deal to them and benefits you as well. NOvie

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Heat

if you cant stand the heat...get out of the kitchen !

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Heat

And callaloo if you read this..it was meant to be a joke !I don't know why some people soo dotish nah !

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Heat

Novie,thats the way it was in Trinidad when i was growing up,i don't know how long it will last in Tobago especially after all the old timers has expired.Times has really changed for the worst in the Caribbean but i know of a really small island close to Trinidad that most people dont know about where it is 100% safe,has georgous beaches and has not changed for centuries.If you are interested in going i will have to give you the info via e-mail.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Heat

T4L-can I get the name of your paradise?Hey, an exclusive, private holiday away from inlaws?...lol Are you hearing me here?

Regardless, i'm still totally jealous of you...rum...Sting...Golden Star...etc.

And yes, I find the prices of Jazzfest extreme, especially for locals....but I would kill to see Sting in 'our' setting.

Email available for your golden info...lol.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Heat

Littlered,my email address is nchacha57@aol.com i will tell you where that island is.

Level Contributor
204 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Heat

Trini4, I will ask Lilred to forward my e-mail address to you. Don't want to publish it here too freely! OK?? ANd u can advise me where your secret hideaway is! Novie

Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations