We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

define service charges

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
define service charges

I'm planning our trip, looking at various restaurants and their menus - I noticed that some - like La Tartaruga - mention that a 10% service charge is automatically added to the bill. Is this the tip? or is one expected to tip in addition to this? Just askin'.

Thanks for any info.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: define service charges

When there is an added service charge to bill I do not tip. Unless your server was exceptional and you would like to personally tip him/her.

Am not to crazy about tipping though but that could start an entirely new topic.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: define service charges

Thanks - I'm not a fan of 'tip included' billing, but if I know the rules going in - then I can deal.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: define service charges

being in the same industry, I often ask the servers if they actually get the tip....most of the time...no. I found this to be true in the bigger hotels. I personally will tip if the service is good, remembering that you are on 'caribbean time' and the server is not responsible for the speed of the kitchen. It's a sham and I also am not a fan of 'tip included' billing.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: define service charges

Helpful info. Thanks. By the way - any favorite places to eat in Tobago?

5. Re: define service charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:42
Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations