We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go - Bonaire or Tobago?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
135 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go - Bonaire or Tobago?

My husband and I are planning a 10day vacation next June 2013 and are considering either Bonaire and Tobago. He is a diver and I prefer snorkeling. We would like the following - to stay in a hotel (w/kitchen if possible), preferably with a beach or with snorkeling nearby, walking or short drive to restaurants/shops, not isolated to town or other activities. Has anyone been to both islands that can share some feedback for us? Thanks TA experts we always look forward to information you share!

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go - Bonaire or Tobago?

Bonaire is a part of the ABC islands. I havent been to Bonaire but if its anything like A (Aruba) then I would go anywhere else in the world!

Grenada
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go - Bonaire or Tobago?

I have just visited both destinations in the last month. They are very different islands and hard to compare to each other. The easiest way for me to give an answer to this question is to describe how I found each island to be.

Bonaire - One of the easiest, well organized and diver/snorkeler based islands in the Caribbean. This island was set up for watersports. Diving/snorkeling is interesting, easy and the majority of dive centers are great. Land activities are available too. Restaurants, hotels and bars tend to be of a high standard. For a mid range resort I liked Buddy Dive or Divi Flamingo for their dive staff, customer service and overall level.

Tobago - More of a DIY location in the fact that everything is not served on a platter like Bonaire. I found the atmosphere here to be less friendly and the service level in hospitality bordering on atrocious by Tobagans. However, the diving on the Atlantic side was amazing, although due to stronger currents not as effortless as Bonaire. The beaches and the rainforest were beautiful and the island has stunning scenery.

Personally, I would choose Bonaire - it's convenient, friendly and has great all round diving and snorkeling.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
135 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go - Bonaire or Tobago?

Thank you very much for you thoughtful responses, it is very helpful to hear first hand experiences when one is planning a vacation.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
777 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go - Bonaire or Tobago?

I am saddened to hear your report pollypirate. I personally have found diving in Tobago wonderful. Perhaps you just had the wrong dive shop. Hmmm. I have found most (not all) to be more than accommodating. I am surprised because the diving is spectacular especially in the north. Drift diving is available, but have to be fairly advanced.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
777 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go - Bonaire or Tobago?

I may be biased, but my husband used to teach and then do tours in Tobago and over the years had nothing but rave reviews from experienced divers. Hopefully you can find a reputable dive crew and enjoy!

6. Re: Where to go - Bonaire or Tobago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Tobago