We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Flies & Crown Point

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Sand Flies & Crown Point

OK - So while in Belize we experienced Sand Flies to the extreme. I have put together an assortment of products that contain various levels of DEET to bring with us in Dec. Are there any other recommendations for keeping these guys off of us?

Will they be as big an issue in Tobago as they were further North? Thanks for any tips.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Flies & Crown Point

From what I have experienced on beaches in Trinidad they come out as soon as the sun begins to set around 6 p.m. I don't know if Tobago is going to be any different.

UK
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Flies & Crown Point

Can't say that I've experienced any problem with sandflies in Tobago. Mosquitoes definitely after sunset but no problem with sandflies.

You will still need the DEET to keep the mosquitoes away.

Enjoy!

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Flies & Crown Point

Thank you. The bites from the sand flies are awful and hubby reacted quite bad - so just trying to stay protected.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Flies & Crown Point

Any bites below the knee are usually sand flies. In the evening if we are walking on the beach we do as the local guys do and wear long trousers! You can bring them into your room in the sand on your shoes so dust them off outside but not where you are going to be sitting next day.

We take an anti histamine cream from Boots Chemist and it takes care of most of them. Some people do react differently. I guess I am lucky , they seem to love my wife so as long as I am near her they go for her!

Mosquito love dark places and standing water. We store our empty Carib bottles upside down in the case, empty the saucers under houseplants etc. etc. They are not strong flyers so even a quite slow fan can keep them at bay. Better than the smell of Citronella candles! Look around where you are staying & check for standing water . Believe me the Spanish mosquitoes that have invaded SW London are far worse than anything we have ever seen on Tobago!

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Flies & Crown Point

Thanks Gin & Tonic :) We have lots of mosquitos in Alberta - and I have an awesome antihistamine stick that I discovered this season. Works great - so I will be bringing a couple of those along. And apparently, long pants for the evening. Will check out the surroundings when we check in for sure.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
788 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand Flies & Crown Point

Hi Flip Flop...I am in Ontario and am curious what awesome stick you have? Our mosquitoes are huge hear and love my kids. When in Tobago they love my son and eat him up. I always bring a deet product but need a good anti itch medicine. Thanks !

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand Flies & Crown Point

OK - silly me just posting the teaser....the stick I found is a Benadryl stick. It's about the size of a felt marker. If they have been around before, I've never seen them till this year. I LOVE IT. I too react to mosquito bites and I had terrific results with this - especially if I could put it on right away.

Got mine at a drug store - maybe even Giant Tiger ....? or Zellers? All I know is it works great for us. PS - it's a 'dauber' end...and can take a couple of presses? to get it going. It might seem a bit dry in the application; I found shaking it a bit before I touched it to the bite helped. Good luck, I hope it works for you too Galaxy Cow.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
788 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand Flies & Crown Point

I've tried it for my son and it does give some relief :)

I have found that if I keep my legs covered (leggings or pants) at night and I spray daily after bathing that I don't get bitten at all. My kids (especially my son) does not heed my advice, so suffers the consequences....typical teen lol

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand Flies & Crown Point

Roger that.... and part of the reason why hubby suffered so bad. "Who needs bug spray?"

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand Flies & Crown Point

The biting insects usually come out when the sun goes down.

I don't know if there is a season for them though because sometimes there is none.

Get answers to your questions about Tobago