We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tobago B&B/Guesthouse

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Tobago B&B/Guesthouse

I haven't been to Tobago for many moons so I am thinking of visiting for about 3 days the week after Carnival 2013. Could anyone recommend a nice reasonable guesthouse that is not too noisy? I would prefer to be within walking distance to restaurants and a nice beach. What is there to see besides Bucco Reef? I went there years ago so I don't need to see it again. Thanks.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tobago B&B/Guesthouse

That is one of Tobago's busiest times. You would be lucky to get anything at that time as all the partiers from Carnival head over to recoup. Buccoo Reef is pretty much dead, but I still like doing a day cruise on Island Girl or Coco Motion, there is horseback riding, safari's, tours thru the rainforest, snorkelling etc.

Check out www.mytobago.info for a list of guesthouses in the Crown Pt area.Good Luck!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tobago B&B/Guesthouse

Thanks for site. I will not be going immediately after Carnival maybe the following week. Hopefully by then everybody will be heading back home.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tobago B&B/Guesthouse

Hey Galaxy Cow - Flip Flop here again -

Is the Buccoo reef pretty much dead? Really - from ..... people touching it? Too much sunscreen in the water? More curious & sad if that's the case.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tobago B&B/Guesthouse

The Buccoo Reef is in a sad state. If you knew how it was in the 80's and 90's you would be horrified to see it now. I was there in Aug this year and to me it wasn't worth the trip anymore.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tobago B&B/Guesthouse

Buccoo Reef is not worth going to see at least if you want to see varieties of fish like it used to have. There's lots of coral though. We went two years ago and probably saw 3 fish ... yep, not kidding.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tobago B&B/Guesthouse

Is there a report on the cause of the slow and painful death?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tobago B&B/Guesthouse

i've been going to Tobago since early 80's and the reef has so declined since then. I think ignorance and other influences are the cause. Tourists walking over the reef, bleaching etc. However, there are other tours that are eco friendlier where you can still do some wonderful snorkelling/diving.... hopefully without destroying anything. One story of how things change......17years ago i was on the beach with my kids and a leatherback turtle came up on shore in broad daylight!! (about 4 pm)...I was so excited for my kids as turtles usually nest late at night....some silly woman tourist ran down onto the beach and jumped on the turtles back....of course the female turtle turned and left...thanks to a wonderful woman (Wendy Herron) and a number of other locals they started a organization SOS Tobago...(Save our Seaturtles)....Hotels/security/select locals now patrol and protect the turtles and promote their safety etc. Gosh, don't get me going eh?! lol Bottom line...still lots to see and do!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tobago B&B/Guesthouse

It's important to remember....."Look and don't touch"

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tobago B&B/Guesthouse

Would suggest you check out Native Abode - has a good reputation and in a nice quiet residential area, yet still walkable to Crown Point / Store Bay

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tobago B&B/Guesthouse

Outside of Crown Point and Buccoo Reef there is the whole rest of the island! Rent a car for a couple of days and drive to all the beautiful beaches along the coastline - Englishman's, Parlatuvier, Bloody bay, Speyside, Pirate's bay and more. Take a guided tour in the rain forest. Take a boat tour that will take you further along the coastline than just the Buccoo lagoon. Go to the Tobago museum at Fort King George in Scarbourgh. If you are feeling energetic, even take a mountain bike tour (or less energetic - a jeep safari). To name a few.....

Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations