We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Trip to Nylon Pool

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Boat Trip to Nylon Pool

Just trying to get details, I heard a rumor that there are no longer boat trips to the Nylon Pool, as the corals are damaged ? Can anyone advise if this is True or false?

I see lots of recent reviews on the forum ....so i'm just a bit confused as to the truth.

Thanks

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat Trip to Nylon Pool

Plenty of boat trips to the Nylon Pool. I was there again two weeks ago.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat Trip to Nylon Pool

GREAT NEWS .............Thanks for the reply

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat Trip to Nylon Pool

The trip to the Nylon pool usually includes the Buccoo Reef which used to be the main attraction for going out there as the Buccoo Reef used to be teeming with colourful fish but it is no longer so. You'll be lucky if you see a handful of fish. The Nylon pool is a "dead" part of the reef but with very clear water.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat Trip to Nylon Pool

It's sad to see what Buccoo Reef has become. Years of boats dropping anchor on the coral and years of people walking on the coral and breaking off pieces etc has finally caught up. Poor site now for past couple of years.

Boats still go to Nylon Pool as an add on to the Buccoo Reef trip. You can get boats at Store Bay. As soon as you head into Store Bay area the touts approach. There are two trips. One morning and one early afternoon

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat Trip to Nylon Pool

Knowing what Buccoo Reef was like years ago with so many colourful fish I wouldn't pay now for a trip to see it. Although about 2 years ago we did do a tour not realizing how decimated it had become. The Nylon pool did nothing to make up for not seeing the Reef how it used to be.

It's really a shame that the Reef could not be saved. I really wish it could be restored in all it's former glory.

Edited: 01 March 2013, 02:55
Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat Trip to Nylon Pool

Well we see this everywhere in the world.. Nature vs the human and nature is losing this war

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
779 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat Trip to Nylon Pool

Well said Curtraveller......and as I've always said.....Tourism ruins so many beautiful places. Nature and human. With tourism, comes crime. I just returned and had a month of pure enjoyment with no problems at all. Did the entire island a couple of times and didn't encounter any trouble. I have been going since mid 1980's and have never had an issue.......however am not disregarding that there are issues. I have however been robbed on Barbados, San Juan and Bahamas........so it goes...... I did not and will not go to their forums and trash the place, because crime is inevitable (in my eyes) once tourism gets a hold. It's so unfortunate, but true.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
779 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat Trip to Nylon Pool

PS: in answer to the question.......plenty of boat tours, but not worth the money...as reef is dead......and continuing tours will keep it that way, so I refuse to go. I prefer to take a boat ride up the coast line and enjoy the view and some snorkeling where they drop anchor 'near' a good viewing/snorkel area. It also vexes me how aggressive some of these 'boat tour' ticket sellers can be...so I have just written them off.

9. Re: Boat Trip to Nylon Pool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Tobago