We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting married in Tobago

London, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Getting married in Tobago

My fiancé and I are looking at getting married in Tobago in January 2014 but have never been...! We are on a budget and it will only be us two and our two children. We want to get married on the beach and would ideally like our accommodation to have inter-connecting rooms. Can anyone help?

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting married in Tobago

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147388-i645-k6681…

Cyprus
Level Contributor
9 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting married in Tobago

I was married in Tobago 2003, we went to a place called Castara not touristy. Had a great time.

Our accommodation was a rainforest house, saw it online . Check on websites.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting married in Tobago

It can all be done quite easily AND a lot cheaper than getting married at home! Accommodation in Castara at this late stage might be your only problem......check that out first! Are you having parents / other guests, friends or relatives as well? Airlines can do group bookings?

I think the waiting time after applying for the licence is 4/5 days. We have attended several weddings on the beach here in Castara. It will be a memorable occaission for you all.

Any other advice just ask .

Check out MyTobago.info as well plenty on there.

Tobago
Level Contributor
57 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting married in Tobago

Don't forget to contact the Division of Tourism who is responsible for the beaches in order to get your permits to utilize the space in order! (Exceptions being private beaches like Canoe Bay)

Edited: 30 December 2013, 15:27
Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting married in Tobago

I do not think anyone locally will oppose you getting married on either of the beaches at Castara.....or Englishman's for that matter. You could ask Miss Eula to do some catering as well, her food is really good.

Did you sort accommodationOK?

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting married in Tobago

I never knew that a permit is required for a beach wedding in Tobago.

I wonder if they have such permits in Trinidad too.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting married in Tobago

I do believe that the time spent trying to find somebody in the administration who knows about any permits to use a beach THEN the jumping through hoops to sort it out would be better spent enjoying the island.......

Register your request to get married on island then 3 days later get married. Job done, pop the champagne, big smikes, have the photos taken to show everyone at home then enjoy the day!

Tobago
Level Contributor
57 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting married in Tobago

I wouldn't call it a formal permit, but because the beaches are public and a person essentially wants it for their own private use, they have to contact the Division of Tourism.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 18:14
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,525 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting married in Tobago

I look at it this way ... suppose you and, say, 30 or 50 friends decide to go to the beach for the day to swim and lay out in the sun. No permit required, right? It's similar to a wedding on the beach except the people are dressed differently and two of them are standing quietly together with a third person talking to them. Only thing that should matter here is that that third person has the qualifications to perform the wedding rites.

10. Re: Getting married in Tobago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 07:21
Get answers to your questions about Tobago