We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August in Tobago

Brighton, England...
Level Contributor
15 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
August in Tobago

We spent two weeks on this beautiful island. Hired cars and drove the entire way around the island on various days. Have visited most of the beaches and bays (reviews posted under things to do). We stayed in villa sans souci on the Tobago plantations - lovely! Eight in our party including four teenagers. Plenty to see and do and we always felt safe. Locals friendly and helpful. Ate at Kings Bay Cafe, Kariwak Village, Pasta Gallery, outside at Buccoo Reef on Sunday School night - all fantastic! Only place I wouldn't recommend to eat us the Grill at the Magdalena hotel. Service was slow,inconsistent and without smiles, food was mediocre & bland! Hired Hans from Hans Phillips Tours for a wonderful island boat trip with snorkelling, nylon pool etc and again for a rainforest tour. Hans is an accredited tour guide, friendly, professional and knowledgable and reasonable too! He will adapt his trips to accommodate your wishes. Fantastic! We were a little apprehensive about Tobago after reading a few negative comments on trip advisor but we had the must amazing time here. It really is paradise on earth. Go enjoy!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
779 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August in Tobago

So glad you had an great time Sharon! Thanks for sharing. I still love driving up north just to take in the views and explore new eats. Hope you got to try some good roti too!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: August in Tobago

Glad you have a wonderful time. With a group of 4 adults and 4 teens you will always be safe. It is the single traveler or the lone couple who are usually targeted.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 14:57
Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August in Tobago

Thanks for posting this Review.

Hope you visit again someday and spread the word around for others to visit.

Tobago
Level Contributor
57 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August in Tobago

Glad that you enjoyed yourself!

Brighton, England...
Level Contributor
15 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August in Tobago

Thank you everyone! Yes I will most definitely be recommending Tobago to all my friends, colleagues and family. It's a wonderful unspoilt island.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
779 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August in Tobago

Well, I wouldn't say unspoilt as it is not what it was 28 years (or so) ago when I first started going there.....but it is still the most special place !

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August in Tobago

I haven't been to many of the other island but from those I've been to I can say that T&T and especially Tobago is not so commercialized in Tourism as those others. Can be good or bad thing, depends on the people visiting.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
779 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August in Tobago

Oh it's a good thing PA, for most folks visiting. I have been to numerous other islands and I do not like places like Cuba or Dom Republic.....big hotels etc where tourists are 'herded' up for everything. I can honestly say with the latter two mentioned, my best days were the days I escaped the huge hotel compound and explored on my own, meeting the people etc. Yet, having said that tourism does help the local economy just as long as it is controlled properly and not overdone. Tobago, when I first started going, had virtually no tourists and maybe a handful of people from other countries living there. (used to get together at the Cabin Pub on Thursdays! lol) Now, it's a small bustle of tourists, but in a healthy way. The downfall is with tourism usually brings petty theft. I love Tobago and it is like my second home with tons and tons of family (inlaws) there now! <3

9. Re: August in Tobago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Tobago