We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Tobago

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
New to Tobago

Hi all

We are fairly new to Tripadviser so apologies if this has been covered before but we are novices!

We are new to Tobago and staying at the Grafton Bay Hotel from 12 November 2013. Can anybody answer the following please:

Is the hotel anywhere near a main centre/resort and are there any recommended restaurants close by?

What kind of weather should we expect?

Will it be a good idea to take raincoats?!

Can you recommend any trips for the more mature person. We are fully mobile and quite sprightly!

We are hoping to hire a car and are there any tips on the driving whilst in Tobago and any car hire company recommendations?

Many thanks in advance (getting excited!)

Jean and Kevin

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
546 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Tobago

Check it out on MyTobago.info

Plenty of information about the hotel and the area including places to eat etc. I think the website administrator has actually stayed there.

An umberella is easier. If it rains, by the time you have got the coats out it will probably have stopped! That's how it is ........

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Tobago

Hi there Gin and tonic,

many thanks for you kind advice, I will check out your site.

Thanks Jean

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Tobago

I haven't seen many adults here with raincoats. Only people I see sometimes with raincoat are the Police officers.

Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Tobago

Buccoo good place to stay

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
796 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Tobago

Grafton is near the Village of Black Rock and Pleasant Prospect. The Seahorse which is right beside Grafton has nice ambiance and usually good food. Also a little place in Pleasant Prospect, FISH POT has awesome food! If you have a car you must try out Shore Things in Lambeau on the Atlantic side. Other favourites of mine are Tartaruga in Buccoo, LaCantina in Crown Pt. and Kariwak.

Weather is .....hot. Plain and simple. I personally prefer rainy season. Short cloud bursts (usually) but everything is lush and green. I usually find the rain a relief sometimes. I just hide under a mango tree til its gone ;)

Can't imagine even wearing a raincoat.

oh yes.....I also love going up to Stonehaven Bay Pavillian Restaurant . Good food and beautiful view. There is a pool as well right beside the dining room that is available....and very pretty. Also has a daily happy hour.

stonehavenvillas.com/tobago-dining-en.html - for some pics.

Driving is left hand and I don't find it a challenge at all. (I am from Canada) The drive up north is a must. Breathtaking. Very winding roads at some points so take it slow....the locals are quite used to tourists driving. If you do go up north (and you should!) stopping at Kings Bay for a delicious burger is a must! Again the view from this little gem is amazing. Be careful if stopping at waterfalls.....sometimes some local raggamuffins will try to 'give you a tour'....which usually consists of them walking beside you and then trying to charge you for tour duty. Always use caution if venturing on your own.

I also recommend a day trip on Island Girl Catamaran......great folks.....good food and great tour for the day. Also recommend a rainforest tour.....a guide is a must. Harris Jungle Tours 639-0513

759-0170 or Peter Cox 751-5822 are both excellent!!

Also right by the Grafton is a Bird Sanctuary where they feed the birds twice daily (wear a hat or hankie)

If you ask at the front desk they will guide you.....not far.

Numerous car rentals on the island. Most priced about the same. Sheppy's by the airport is always good. Shermans/KCNN/Taylors are all very reputable with good service. (beware of Lady in Red-if she's still in business)

Driving on the Claude Noel Hwy towards Scarborough can be a bit unnerving as it is not unusual for speedsters to pass at any given time.....can scare the wits out of you. I just keep my distance and drive with caution.....other than that...all is well.

I truly hope you enjoy Tobago as much as I do!

Cheers!

Edited: 26 October 2013, 21:32
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
796 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Tobago

PS: Shore Things has awesome desserts~~!!!

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to Tobago

Thank you for all your information. I will make many notes on your suggestions.

Thanks Halkigirl

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to Tobago

Thank you for all your information. I will make many notes on your suggestions.

Thanks Halkigirl

9. Re: New to Tobago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Tobago