We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the flight to Tobago not direct anymore?CocoReefWedding

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is the flight to Tobago not direct anymore?CocoReefWedding

Hi all

I'm almost at the stage where I should choose and book my Caribbean wedding and I thought I'd finally narrowed my search to Coco Reef in Tobago.

Having been to Turtle bay by Rex Resort in Sept or Oct 2010 on a direct flight with Virgin, now when I try to view prices for 1st/2nd October 2014 it appears BA is indirect - (where does it stop and do you change flights?) and Monarch is direct (although I am wary about leg room, service etc having limited experience with monarch). Kuoni appears to have prices for Coco Reef but on a 7day AI then 7day Room only basis when I need 14 or more nights all inclusive.

Does Virgin not go there anymore? Their website only wants me to go to Barbados or other islands! Please can anyone help advise me on their experience with flying to Tobago?

Also I would appreciate help on planning a wedding at Coco Reef however I'm just trying to get my head around how to get there and prices as I really don't want to change planes and neither do my guests.

Thanking you all in advance :-)

Sarah

UK
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the flight to Tobago not direct anymore?CocoReefWedding

We fly with BA from London Gatwick to Tobago.

The flight goes via St. Lucia. There is no need to disembark, just sit on the plane while other passengers leave and others board for the very short flight to Tobago.

Best wishes for your wedding.

London, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the flight to Tobago not direct anymore?CocoReefWedding

We booked for our holiday in 5 weeks time back in nov 12 and was informed that Virgin had direct flights. When we actually booked our flights in jan 13 not only could we not use our Virgin Reward miles but we found out that the flights were no longer direct. They also stop off in St Lucia. Virgin were a great airline and I hope that they still are as we fly with them on 1 March but their Customer Service has gone down in my estimation.........can inform more more when we return mid March...........

Holmfirth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the flight to Tobago not direct anymore?CocoReefWedding

We've just done the same research for a May visit to Coco Reef. The BA flight last 8.5 hours to Antigua, sits on the tarmac for an hour, on and off loading Antigua passengers and then continues on a 1 hour 20 min journey to Tobago. You will not leave the plane or touch Antiguan soil as I understand it.

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the flight to Tobago not direct anymore?CocoReefWedding

Thank you all for the information. I'm actually looking at Coco Reef with Monarch now just so it's a direct flight. I just feel it's an important part of the holiday for me even if its no frills as i could buy an ipad with the £ I can save and bring it with me. I agree about Virgin - they have got worse and worse since I first flew with them to St Lucia in 2007! Think times are hard with them too! I've never gone with BA because they kept striking the year I had a choice.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
494 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the flight to Tobago not direct anymore?CocoReefWedding

We have flown BA to Tobago many times.

BA 2157.Currently on a Monday. It stops in Antigua for a crew change and to let the people off who have not learned that Tobago is a better destination.......

Monarch are cheaper never heard a bad report other than you buy your own drinks! I think the legroom is 2"more than BA? You can always fly their upper class a really good deal. They fly Wednesdays.

Talk to BA group sales direct at Speedbird House at Heathrow and they will give you a better price for group travel. Only downside you pay them direct bank transfer no credit card .

I am sure Monarch will cut you a deal as well but speak to them direct on the phone.

BA also fly daily to Port Of Spain for those guests who cannot do a Monday! POS is a very cheap 20minute flight .

Is the service at Pidgeon Point?

You have to get the permit 3/4 days before the wedding which means a short trip to Scarborough. Just a legal 'ting!

It will be a memorable occaission .....

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the flight to Tobago not direct anymore?CocoReefWedding

Thank you for the added information. I got a pit confused regarding port of spain though.

I've luckily been to Antigua (got engaged there) and Tobago but feel Tobago is better I agree! Shame the flights have changed. I will look into BA and how much the Monach upgrade is! Can never afford to upgrade with Virgin!

I have guests flying together but probably all at multiple hotels depending on budgets so group booking may not happen

Thanks again for the information :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the flight to Tobago not direct anymore?CocoReefWedding

Have a great wedding however you manage to get there.......:-)

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the flight to Tobago not direct anymore?CocoReefWedding

Monarch is the only direct flight to Tobago at the moment and long may it stay that way! I have flown with Monarch on many occasions and have never had cause for complaint. You need to book with a company called Golden Caribbean and they are very pleasant and efficient to deal with. You can always book extra legroom seats or for a little more expense you can fly Premium Economy. Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding! Enjoy every minute!

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the flight to Tobago not direct anymore?CocoReefWedding

Virgin will no longer be flying to Tobago after March 2014, which is why you probably could not get flights for Sept/Oct.

The only option after for people determined to fly Virgin will be to fly to Barbados, where they transfer you to a Caribbean Airlines flight to Tobago

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the flight to Tobago not direct anymore?CocoReefWedding

Oh I see, thank you for all the information. I'm looking at Golden Holidays for prices and now thinking of going back to Turtle Beach by Rex to save money to spend on all the add-ons that I want to opt for. I'll definitely get extra leg room seats for £40 extra pp but not sure about stretching £200 pp each way on premium class/cabin with monarch. Think I'll have to leave that luxury for others. Thanks again for the help. Sarah

Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations