We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Package or Independant ?

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Package or Independant ?

Hi

We are hoping to go to Tobago in May 07 and would like to know your experiences of how best to go?Is it cheaper to go on a package deal or be independant, as our budget is around £1,600 ish, for 2 weeks for 2 adults do you think this is possible? We do like some comforts on holiday so dont want very very basic accomodation.

Any information would be very helpful, THANK YOU

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Package or Independant ?

get a quote from a few travel companies and then try booking it by yourself and see what the difference is,it's very easy doing it on the internet.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Package or Independant ?

We went first time to Tobago as a package then second time we booked independently, which actually worked out cheaper. Depends on where you want to stay and how luxurious you want. Also what area if you want to be near more action then the Crown Point area is best place. You could look on the website My Tobago

They have several different style of accommodations with reviews etc . Do you want a hotel or self catering? We now go independently to the caribbean, look to see where we fancy staying then contact hotel/self catering accommodation for best price. What type of comforts are you looking for, everyone likes different things?

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Package or Independant ?

Not sure where we want to stay - but do like the look of Sherwood park apartments,and Bijou des caraibes think they both look like the kind of place we would like. Ideally we would like to be walking distance in the evening for a couple of places to eat or 5/10 mins drive at most ,can you suggest areas.I have got rather over whelmed with looking at accomodation there is so many good places to stay.

What would you expect to pay for a airfare £600 does seem alot!

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Package or Independant ?

Just don't travel with BWIA...that's going to be a big mistake.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Package or Independant ?

Buddy...as a first timer...stay in the Store Bay, Pidgeon Pt., Crown Point area....lots of touristy things to do (not like other islands when I say tourisy...just means you will see other tourists!). Lots of places to eat, drink and relax. Don't do AllINC. unless you like upscale stuff. If you like clean, yet cheaper accommodations, you can get guesthouses with cooks and (slight) maid service. I like the 'local' flavour so appreciate these kind of accommodations. If you do like upscale...there is alot to choose from as well. In Tobago, there is such a diverse choice of accommodations. Please check out www.mytobago.info It's such a great website and will give you a fair, unbiased (no advertising allowed) opinion of the island. I've very rarely disagreed with what they say on there! Hope this helps....and cheers! Just remember, Store Bay area is the best for a first timer.....

corwen wales
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Package or Independant ?

Hi

If you are traveling from the UK most flights go from Gatwick. If you go with Excel they normally charge half the price of Virgin or BA. £320-£400, It's a charter company, and have flown with them many times, leg room and service fine.

Siwm

corwen wales
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Package or Independant ?

Hi

If you are traveling from the UK most flights go from Gatwick. If you go with Excel they normally charge half the price of Virgin or BA. £320-£400, It's a charter company, and have flown with them many times, leg room and service fine.

Siwm

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Package or Independant ?

Hi agree with Littleredsister look on website mytobago and read reviews plus ones on this site, however I also agree with her that for first visit to Tobago best to be in Crown point, store bay area, where you are in walking distance to shops, small supermarkets, restaurants, pidgeon beach etc., otherwise you would need to hire a car. We actually stayed both times at Sandy Point Village, which doesn't always get best reviews but had a beach front room and for the money more than happy with it, being able to watch the pelicans diving of a morning first thing. It does have a swimming pool and restaurant but the rooms are simple and basic but clean. Crown Point Hotel is another hotel that is on the beach. The mytobago website also has a forum where you can ask questions to see peoples opinions.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Package or Independant ?

Thanks every one, all good ideas gives me something to work on now.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Package or Independant ?

Just to add that you can get special offers on flights with BA and Virgin you just have to keep a look out for them, we are going to Grenada next year and we are paying £459 each inc taxes for our flights. We usually wait until these special offers come along before we book our flights.

Get answers to your questions about Tobago