We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

sussex
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Topic
Trip report

Hi Guys,

just got back from our Two week holiday in Tobago. We (Myself, my wife and 3 children aged 16, 13 and 12) based ourselves in an apartment on Grafton Beach (Black Rock Dreams). The apartment was fantastic with unbelievable beach views and swaying palms. Humming birds, tanangers, mot mots and even bats coming right up to our balcony. Location was perfect after traveling all round the island we are sure we made the right choice of location.

So, Crown Point quite touristy in comparison to the rest of the island, lots of good eateries, kids loved the chicken shack next to store bay (real hen and chicks outside!!). Store Bay beach small and busy, it was the only beach that we visited where we were hassled (gently) by hawkers. Pigeon Point great for photos, swimming and chilling. Again quite touristy and busy when a cruise ship is in at Scarborough. However great facilities, clean showers and toilets ad nice relaxed feel. Mount Irvine very popular always seemed busy, good facilities. Grafton Beach (stone haven bay) fantastic, beach almost deserted, in the fortnight we were there the busiest it got was the start of the Easter holidays where there may have been 25 people on the beach. Normally just us and half a dozen others. Fantastic beach for swimming (beyond the surf line) and great for playing in the waves. We are slightly bias as we were staying there. Arnos Vale fantastic snorkeling, possibly the best on the island. We went by private boat but easily accessible by car. (no facilities). Castara really laid back feel and sense of community, next time would like a few more days there. From there up all the bays Englishman's, Bloody bay etc looked very pretty but driving is a bit of a pain due to narrow twisty roads and the crap driving by locals. We did it all in a Nissan estate and certainly do not need a jeep, Charlotteville, beautiful, again would have liked to spend a bit more time there. The drive from there to Roxborough is really pretty with parrots, exotic birds and lizards. Speyside very popular with divers but not much there for anyone else.

Restaurants. Allegedly some of the best restaurants on Tobago were next to us, the Seahorse Inn being the No 1, however after a very nice starter when our main course arrived we were very dissapointed . Fish was not good.However the Thai ? staff were fantastic,shame the manager was not. We complained and after a few minutes with the manager we had the price of the main meal removed from our bill. Personally I would not eat there again. Just up the road from Grafton Beach is the Pleasant Prospect Cafe, (Just above Pizza Boys) Hallelujah!!! Fantastic food (Michelin star quality), great service and a friendly atmosphere (wife just wanted to eat there every day!) Fishpot restaurant is just next door and is of the same standard if not better when it comes to fresh fish, i had mahi mahi and grouper and would rate it as the best fish i have eaten-ever! Our boys loved pizza boys in pleasant prospect, great for pizzas,burgers etc-but wow! the most miserable staff in the world!We found the locals to be very surly at first then quickly realised if you smiled and entered into conversation they would put there guard down and respond to us in a really friendly,cheerful and helpful manner.The attitude in shops and even some bars and cafes can be a little trying sometimes though ,staff just seem fed up and if they have to get of their butts it is just to much hard work! Overall though locals were really nice.Over the last few months i have read on TA of the many concerns on safety.While in tobago we had no incidents or any concerns .We just followed normal common-sense.We have absolutely no concerns about returning.Thankyou Tobago one of our greatest holidays!!! Shaun.P.S Would like to strongly reccommend a private boat trip on Zoe with Cpt Peter , fantastic snorkelling and the best doughnuts you will ever have!

trinidad
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

I was wondering when we would get a report from you, it is wonderful that you have such a good report, I wish the tourism authority would read this to see that the people make the tourism especially those in the service industry. Thanks again for a great report.

UK
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

We also experienced a wonderful stay in Tobago. We stayed in the Crown Point area during the last week of March. We encountered no problems, found the staff and service at the local shops, bars and cafes always helpful and friendly, the beaches quiet and so relaxing.

Cannot wait until our return to colourful, beautiful and relaxing Tobago!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
779 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report

So happy you had a great time Yavash!!

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report

Thanks for the Trip Report. You certainly went around the Island which is great!

5. Re: Trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Tobago