We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to go Tobago - some advice please

Bucks
5 posts
Save Topic
Want to go Tobago - some advice please

I'm in the process of booking for next years summer hols. We're a family of five (3 kids) and we mostly go self catering. We've been lookng at villas, some of which appear to be in beautiful locations, but having read some of the artices around on the net (and on the Tripadvisor forums) I'm starting to wonder whether a private villa is a good move, due to the possibility of violent attack. Although I take on board advice about not going to remote beaches alone, not walking at night, what worries me is being a sitting duck in a private villa.

Any advice about locations to book, do we need to book a villa in a secure 'compound', whether to book at all, help!

Trinidad
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to go Tobago - some advice please

Try Johnstons apartments

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to go Tobago - some advice please

I would look for an apartment with self cater facilities. Some of the hotels in crown point have self catering apartments. You could also look on the Antigua Nice web site. We stayed at Sandy Point, which is quite basic but was clean and it does have security staff. Next to a bar that does superb rum punches.

Black Rock Tobago
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to go Tobago - some advice please

Hi there

don't be too scared,it's not so bad as some people say.

You could move anywhere but just use your sens.

Shure don't walk on lonesome beaxhes with values

We are running a small house in Black-Rock,in the past 10 yeares nobody ever had a problem,check it out

www.jemas-guesthouse.de

May be see you

Matthias

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to go Tobago - some advice please

sorry meant www.mytobago.info website for info on accommodation etc

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to go Tobago - some advice please

dear MBidel....last I saw and heard, Grafton Beach Villas had security and were still very nice to stay in. Apparently the villas in and about Mt.Irvine were the ones mentioned..probably because of the extreme privacy. However, crime at one time was almost unheard of in Tobago, however now, it's getting to be like any other caribbean island.....move with common sense and your wits about you. Not like you have to have pepper spray yet....

Personally, because I love taking in the local food and people, i prefer to stay in self catering places. Definately take in Pidgeon Pt and Store Bay area if you are a first timer. ALso only hire reputable taxi drivers....most are recommended by most hotels or tour operators. Because of a few instances, crime has made a 'big' splash in the local newspapers. Sad but true. Common sense as always. I've been going for 20 yrs now and won't stop due to some low lifes...and I have two kids 12 &14 now. Please enjoy the locals and great food.....you'll understand once you experience it!! have fun

cheers

trinidad
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to go Tobago - some advice please

Very little crime and its being sensationalized for sure. Just use common sense, if you were in London, on a deserted road, and female, would you hop in the car with three large rastas? That was one of the crimes.

Suggestions are good, Pigeon Point a good idea. But you also need to hire a car and driver and have him take you up the Caribbean side, through the rainforest and on up to Charlottesville. Its an absolutely beautiful site. Ask a fisherman to take you to one of the deserted coves for an hour or two.

Bloody bay and Englishmans bay two great and secluded beaches.

YYC
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to go Tobago - some advice please

The growing crime I wrote about is not being sensationalized. I was on Tobago for 18 days in July/06 and 22 days in August/06. The information I posted was in the daily papers from Trinidad and the Tobago weekly news. The Tobago weekly news had the most scathing reports of crime in Mount Irving, Argylle Falls and Crown Point. The owner of Bago's told me personally of the at his establishment as did the owner of Karawak. The owners of the Parlatuvier guest house and grocery shop warned us of the robberies at Englishman's Bay. Will I still go to Tobago certainly, I have two trips planned in the near future. But to say the crime is sensationalized is wrong.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to go Tobago - some advice please

Kerlly.....I stay in Black Rock with family when I go. I've seen Jemma's guest house and it's great!! Charming place.

surrey
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to go Tobago - some advice please

hi myself my 3 year old son and my parents, my father is blind , were in tobago 9-24 nov the first 10 days were fantastic it's a lovely island and 99% of the people are fantastic, however on sunday night at about 10pm 2 masked men broke in to the villa where we were staying and attacked and robbed us, my son was asleep in the bedroom thank god, this was in bon accord so if you do go just make sure the villa you book has security the police told us that they advise tourists not to stay in villa's or guest houses and to stay in hotels so best of luck

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Want to go Tobago - some advice please

Dear ddanddp....I'm sorry to say, your post has finally changed my heart. I've been going to Tobago for twenty years and have TONS of family there....so feel safe most of the time. However, I am so disheartened and sad to hear of your horrible experience in Tobago. I've been one of many trying to defend the latest rise in crime against tourists and locals alike. Sad to say....tourism has creeped it's nasty trail into another beautiful isle that was once innocent...................will we ever learn .......................just a point...out of five other islands...I've been robbed in two....right in the airport........and I'm a 'seasoned' traveller....so go figure.....I don't flash anything etc and have still been accosted.............So sorry to hear of your misfortune...it makes me very sad for Tobago and it's future. Prayers and good luck in the new year........

Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations