We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it as bad as reviewers say?

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
1 post
138 reviews
Save Topic
Is it as bad as reviewers say?

We have booked a stay at the CocoReef in Tobagoo next year. Until recently the reviews have been good. Is it because it's peak season?

We have stayed at La Source in Grenada many times (out of season) and thought the place was fantastic but friends who were there in high season thought it was over crowded.

orlando,fl
Level Contributor
502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it as bad as reviewers say?

CocoReef is well situated and very safe,lots of restaurants and bars close by.With the exchange of the Pound and Euro it's a bargain for Europeans.Stay there if you can,get the breakfast plan only and eat out lunch,dinner.

Barling Magna...
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it as bad as reviewers say?

To be honest the Coco reef is in the ideal spot. My family stayed there for 1 week having come from Grenada.

They were very disappointed with the hotel. It was full of people, most of whom you would not choose to spend your holidays with.

Whilst the hotel is ok and the food average there are much better places to stay. Yes it is good value for money but it all dpends on what sort of holiday you are after.

We have stopped in a villa now and would choose to do that rather than stay at a hotel. While this would be a quieter option it gives you the excuse to venture out and about.

There are some fantastic restaurants and bars, my favourite is the Sea Horse Inn. You cannot find a nicer place to eat on the whole island.

My only advice to you would be get out and explore the island.

northwest
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it as bad as reviewers say?

coco reef hotel and spar is a beautifull hotel the staff are friendly the rooms are of 5x quality the pool is very small BUT dont worrie cos the sea makes up for that we have just returned from 2 week stay in tobago first six days were not at coco reef but at turtle beach ( not recomended) the only thing i can say was bad at coco reef was the food not everyday though the buffet was always cold? and also the have a restaraunt of the coplex called cafe coco which they claim to be part of the hotel that was cold to very disappionted. yes maybe cos we were there over the xmas period it was busy,but i was told it gets busy from now on. oh yes also be aware of the airport on the way in and out

London, UK
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it as bad as reviewers say?

Hi - can you say why you wouldn't recommend Turtle Beach? Many thanks! It's on my list of four main places to consider!!!! Jay

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it as bad as reviewers say?

Jay - Turtle Beach is cheap and cheerful..

D'ONT go all inclusive

DO hire a car and use the hotel as a base for the main part

London, UK
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it as bad as reviewers say?

Thanks! I'd prefer not AI anyway, but would probably want to eat there by night to avoid having to trek elsewhere - can you just buy the food 'a la carte' if you eat there? Did you see many children when you were there by the way? (Hope you did!)

Thanks again, Jay

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it as bad as reviewers say?

Yes, Jay, you will find that Turtle Beach is very popular with families - especially if you are there during (UK) school holidays, there will be a lot of kids.

I believe you may be able to just eat there on a pay-as-you-go basis (but confirm this with the hotel)... however most of the restaurants on the island are child-friendly and I would recommend trying to experience at least some of you meals outside the hotel. A good place for a not-too-expensive meal in the evenings is RuBLou's, on the Shirvan Road - about 10 minutes' drive from Turtle Beach.

They have always done great fish, shrimp and ribs but recently started serving burgers and pasta dishes which may go down better with kids. Just save some space for the chocolate cake dessert!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it as bad as reviewers say?

Yes, you can pay as you go in Turtle beach. Good burgers, fries and the Club Sandwiches are great too. Also recommend trying outside the hotel for local tastes.....good food in Tobago !!

9. Re: Is it as bad as reviewers say?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Tobago