We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK mobile phones

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
UK mobile phones

Hi

Does anyone know if mobile phones from the UK work ok in Tobago?

(In particular on O2),

Many thanks

N

x

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK mobile phones

Vodafone certainly works.......expensively! I don't know about 02. I have a local phone when in Tobago which works out much cheaper, especially if you call the UK at weekends. Hope this helps.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK mobile phones

O2 definitely works, but very expensive!

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK mobile phones

Check with where you are staying (or the car rental company ) as many have pay as you go local phones for their guests.

These are much cheaper than using your UK phone. Top up cards are available everywhere as are the school children you will need to show you how to do the top up when you get it all wrong!

A cheap basic Digicel handset with some credit on it is about £20.

That will be less than the first call you make home on your Vodafone/O2 etc!!

You can then text or email the number to those friends,family or workmates you may wish to rub it in that you are in Tobago.........................!

Remember to turn off data roaming on your smart phone as well. There is very good wi-fi available on the island now with whole villages having a central hub so you can sit in a bar/cafe and catch up.

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK mobile phones

Ok thank you all for your help.. I probably just need to buy a local sim rather than a phone as my mobile is unlocked.

Nicki

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK mobile phones

I too have a local phone for when I'm in Tobago. I can phone back to the UK daily for 2 weeks and still have credit compared with one phone call from my UK mobile.

Some of the sim cards don't work in UK phones but it's worth a try.

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK mobile phones

hi , you should not use your 02 in trini or anywere else in the carribean . i used my o2 and i was naive. when i came back to london my bill was over £100's this year i took down a old phone and did by a chip. which is the best thing you can do. also with your o2. if you go onto the internet you also get charged. i suggest you use your o2 phone as alarm clock to wake you up after a heavy session of drinking. and leave it locked up . never ues a 02 phone abroad. lol

7. Re: UK mobile phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2016, 09:17
Get answers to your questions about Scarborough