We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you get sunburned in late January at T&C?

new york
1 post
Save Topic
Can you get sunburned in late January at T&C?

Are the rays strong during late January?

Also, does Beaches heat their pools during January?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you get sunburned in late January at T&C?

When we visited in January, afternoon highs were around 80.

Yep, you can burn.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,414 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you get sunburned in late January at T&C?

You can get burned anytime here.

My advice is to bring lots of sunscreen and apply it liberally and often.

Even dark skinned people need to use sunscreen.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you get sunburned in late January at T&C?

Uncovered at mid-day you can burn in as little as 15 minutes.

Aloe works wonders after but far better to use sun-screen liberally before this happens.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you get sunburned in late January at T&C?

Oh yeah, I forgot - all of our pools are heated - by the sun!!!

With the cost of power at 400% higher than the States not sure any resort would heat the pool, maybe the hot tub.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,414 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you get sunburned in late January at T&C?

If the pool water gets any warmer you might as well just take a bath. At the moment my pool is pleasantly cool.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you get sunburned in late January at T&C?

John, you are headed to the best beach on earth. The water in Grace Bay is drinking water clear and warm and calm, the sand is white and clean and soft, why would you ever want to use the pool? I've been there twice, once in Feb. and once in April, and it is my favorite place in the world. I have not been to Provo (as it is locally known) in Jan. but was told that the bay water is 86 degrees all year round. I have been all over the Caribbean and you can get too much sun any time of the year any where down there if you are not careful. I just left Costa Rica, the other side of the Caribbean from TCI, and got a nice tan in November. It is their spring. A couple of tips: If you go to the beach and turn to the right and walk all the way to the point (way past Club Med), you can usually find all the Conk shells you could ever want in the water - where it starts to get rocky. Second, If you get tired of eating A/I food and the kids, there is a great open air restaurant right on the beach at the SIBONNE, called the Bistro and another good restaurant at the Turks and Caicos Club. The only thing is, they are both a little expensive ,as is everything there, it all has to be imported. Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you get sunburned in late January at T&C?

I wish it was true, but the water isn't 86 degrees year-round. January water temp was around 78 when we were there -- a little chilly at first, but refreshing after you adjust to it. The beach and water are every bit as beautiful as has been described.

Bay Bistro and Simba (T&C Club) are very nice restaurants, but I'd recommend something more authentic Caribbean, if you're wanting a change of pace. Da Conch Shack in the Blue Hills is a must for a uniquely local Caribbean experience.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Martinsburg, WV USA
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you get sunburned in late January at T&C?

John we go to Sunscape the Beach in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic in January. The sun is strong and you can get a bad sunburn. We go to a tanning saloon for a month before we go.

The tempeture is approximatly 80 - 85 degrees F.

Hope this helps.

Also our physican gives us a precription that we take two days prior to leaving and while we are there. It helps to keep you from getting sick from the food. Since you cannot drink the water and the fruits and vegtables contain this water. Sorry but I can't remember the name of the medicine.

dougpa@verizon.net

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you get sunburned in late January at T&C?

it's the proximity to the equator that makes it easy to sunburn year round, more so than in NY. so, of course, the rays are stronger year round.

I don't think you will need or find a heated pool though, anywhere in the Caribbean.

enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
South Carolina
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you get sunburned in late January at T&C?

You most absolutely can get a sunburn in T&C in January - in fact anywhere in the Caribbean for that matter. Just take along some good sunscreen and you will be fine. As another poster advised, a good aloe lotion is advisable just in case.

Don't know why you are wondering about pool water, though. You are going to one of the best beaches on Earth. Don't even think about a pool. Besides, I don't know of any hotel in the Caribbean that wastes energy on heating a pool. The Sun takes care of that.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America